Brexit Party drops out of TV leaders’ debate claiming broadcaster is unfair
- Credit: PA
The Brexit Party has dropped out of this Thursday's leaders' debate hosted by Channel 4, who the group say are too pro-Remain.
Nigel Farage's party claimed they stepped back out of concern that the broadcaster will not conduct the debate "in a fair and objective way".
Boris Johnson had already disagreed about taking part in the debate, which had planned to ban talk about Brexit and instead focus on policy and climate change.
It is intended to be a one-hour special involving seven politicians, hosted by anchor Krishnan Guru-Murthy.
The Brexit Party tweeted: "The Brexit Party will not be taking part in Channel 4's special programme on Thursday night.
You may also want to watch:
"We have no faith that the broadcaster will conduct this debate in a fair and objective way.
"Brexit is the defining issue of our age and the fact that Channel 4 does not want to discuss it speaks volumes about this broadcaster and its Remain position."
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 4 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 6 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 7 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 8 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 9 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 10 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
READ MORE: Channel 4 to host election debate - but Brexit will be bannedOn Monday Krishnan Guru-Murthy tweeted: "This Thursday Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon, Jo Swinson and Sian Berry will join the #ClimateDebate thousands have been calling for this election.
"If you are a Boris Johnson or Nigel Farage supporter and you want them to address this issue too pls encourage them to come."
A spokesperson for Channel 4 News said: "Nigel Farage has appeared dozens of times on Channel 4 News in the past few years as we have covered Brexit on an almost nightly basis across hundreds of hours of broadcasting which has fulfilled all the OFCOM requirements of balance and impartiality with all sides heard equally and repeatedly.
"There can scarcely be anyone in the country who thinks Brexit has not been discussed enough, and whilst the Brexit party may feel it is the most important issue in this election and will probably continue to be for the next few years at least, Climate Change is surely an issue which will affect us all for decades and gets minimal airtime in comparison.
"Climate Change in the context of Brexit is a lesser examined aspect, so we would still be delighted to see Mr Farage appear in this debate and the invitation for Thursday evening therefore remains open."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.