Steve Bray and anti-Brexit campaigners hold pro-EU party outside parliament
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Defiant anti-Brexit campaigners have held a pro-European party outside the Houses of Parliament hours before the UK is due to leave the EU.
The SODEM group have travelled from across the UK to join Steve Bray outside the Houses of Parliament with some campaigners travelling from as far as Sunderland to join in the activities.
They have launched a series of new campaign materials - including placards - to assist with future activities, and have turned up armed with foods from around the European Union.
With a party atmosphere Bray and campaigners - wearing brightly-coloured clothing - blasted out music, sung songs, and lit lights and candles as night fell,
"The purpose of our day is a thank you get together for those who have joined SODEM over the months and years and for the things the EU has done for us," said Bray. "It's a celebration on this our penultimate day as part of the EU organisation - it's a party not a commiseration."
You may also want to watch:
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 The cannabis conundrum
- 4 Why Germany's Greens failed to rise on floods
- 5 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 8 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 9 Rabbits defeat French army
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.