Steve Bray and anti-Brexit campaigners hold pro-EU party outside parliament
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Defiant anti-Brexit campaigners have held a pro-European party outside the Houses of Parliament hours before the UK is due to leave the EU.
The SODEM group have travelled from across the UK to join Steve Bray outside the Houses of Parliament with some campaigners travelling from as far as Sunderland to join in the activities.
They have launched a series of new campaign materials - including placards - to assist with future activities, and have turned up armed with foods from around the European Union.
With a party atmosphere Bray and campaigners - wearing brightly-coloured clothing - blasted out music, sung songs, and lit lights and candles as night fell,
"The purpose of our day is a thank you get together for those who have joined SODEM over the months and years and for the things the EU has done for us," said Bray. "It's a celebration on this our penultimate day as part of the EU organisation - it's a party not a commiseration."
You may also want to watch:
- 1 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 2 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 3 Cross-party group set up to assess impact of UK’s post-Brexit trade deals
- 4 Why the EU is no longer the elephant in the room in the Netherlands
- 5 Why is devout Jacob Rees-Mogg so quiet about Boris Johnson's affairs?
- 6 No 10: ‘Significant differences’ between UK and EU remain over resolving Brexit deal
- 7 David Cameron accepts ‘lessons to be learnt’ following lobbying row
- 8 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
- 9 No 10 rewrote race disparity report, expert claims
- 10 Roman Kemp: Depression and coping with George Michael's death
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.