Steve Bray and anti-Brexit campaigners hold pro-EU party outside parliament
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Defiant anti-Brexit campaigners have held a pro-European party outside the Houses of Parliament hours before the UK is due to leave the EU.
The SODEM group have travelled from across the UK to join Steve Bray outside the Houses of Parliament with some campaigners travelling from as far as Sunderland to join in the activities.
They have launched a series of new campaign materials - including placards - to assist with future activities, and have turned up armed with foods from around the European Union.
With a party atmosphere Bray and campaigners - wearing brightly-coloured clothing - blasted out music, sung songs, and lit lights and candles as night fell,
"The purpose of our day is a thank you get together for those who have joined SODEM over the months and years and for the things the EU has done for us," said Bray. "It's a celebration on this our penultimate day as part of the EU organisation - it's a party not a commiseration."
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 2 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 3 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 4 Tory MP complains 'less scrutiny of trade deals' than when UK was in EU
- 5 No 10 says Biden removing Churchill bust ‘up to president’ despite Obama attack
- 6 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 7 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 8 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 9 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 10 Poll finds Brexit-backing Wales would vote to rejoin EU
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.