Steve Bray and anti-Brexit campaigners hold pro-EU party outside parliament
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Defiant anti-Brexit campaigners have held a pro-European party outside the Houses of Parliament hours before the UK is due to leave the EU.
The SODEM group have travelled from across the UK to join Steve Bray outside the Houses of Parliament with some campaigners travelling from as far as Sunderland to join in the activities.
They have launched a series of new campaign materials - including placards - to assist with future activities, and have turned up armed with foods from around the European Union.
With a party atmosphere Bray and campaigners - wearing brightly-coloured clothing - blasted out music, sung songs, and lit lights and candles as night fell,
"The purpose of our day is a thank you get together for those who have joined SODEM over the months and years and for the things the EU has done for us," said Bray. "It's a celebration on this our penultimate day as part of the EU organisation - it's a party not a commiseration."
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 8 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 9 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.