Sikh MEP heckled and told to ‘go home’ by Brexit Party MEPs
- Credit: Twitter/supplied
Brexit Party supporters have been caught on camera shouting 'go home' during a Sikh MEP's acceptance speech on the evening of the election count.
In a clip circulating on social media, the scene shows several people wearing Brexit Party rosettes shouting over the Labour incumbent's speech.
According to BBC Sunday Politics for the West Midlands, Gill had accused the Brexit Party of being "far right" and "fascist".
In the clip, one woman can be seen shouting "How dare you call us fascists!"
"That's the rhetoric that's brought us here," said another supporter.
You may also want to watch:
"Go home!" shouts another from off camera.
"You lost," said another, to the just-elected MEP.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 5 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 9 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 10 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
Another mocked: "Comrade Corbyn, comrade Corbyn."
The BBC also reported that another supporter repeatedly shouted "F off, F off" during the speech.
The video was shared hundreds of times on social media, with whistleblower Shahmir Sanni commenting: "Brexit Party supporters telling a British Asian MEP to "go home" is the least surprising thing I've seen all week.
"Racists will always be racists, the real enablers are regular folk that choose to call these people 'bad' yet don't actually listen to people of colour."
Messages of support flooded in for Gill, who thanked her supporters on Twitter, adding: "[Laura Kuenssberg] just reported it as #BrexitParty supporters are cocky enough to 'boo' a Labour candidate.
"That's alright then - let's normalise racism in our democracy."
Gill was re-elected to her seat in the West Midlands, where three Brexit Party MEPs were also elected.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.