Brexit blue passports will be rolled out as early as March
- Credit: Archant
New blue passports to mark Brexit will be rolled out across the UK from March, the Home Office has confirmed.
Immigration minister Brandon Lewis claimed that the blue passports will "symbolise our national identity" and will be "one of the most secure travel documents in the world, with a raft of new security measures to protect against fraud and forgery".
The new coloured documents could be ready as early as March, but the Home Office plans to use up stock of the burgundy documents until then.
A Home Office spokesperson said: "There will be a mixture of blue and burgundy passports issued over a period of months, and we expect all new passports to be blue by the middle of the year.
"As well as using up the existing stock of burgundy passports, the printing presses all need to be tweaked to make blue covers, which needs to be done in stages, otherwise the printing process would grind to a halt."
You may also want to watch:
Last year the government phased out the words "European Union" from existing burgundy passports despite Brexit not taking place until earlier this year.
The decision to move to blue passports was marred with controversy after it was revealed a French business would produce the new design.
It meant the British business, which previously produced the burgundy passports, had to cut 250 jobs.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 3 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 4 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 5 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 6 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
- 7 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 8 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 9 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
- 10 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
The New European has launched a passport cover for those that will cover up the blue passports and proudly show Remainers that they didn't back Brexit.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.