Anti-Brexit campaigners plan pro-European flag stunt during Last Night of the Proms
- Credit: Archant
A group of anti-Brexit campaigners have planned a pro-European flag stunt during the Last Night of the Proms.
The EU Flag Mafia have been handing European flags out at the event for a number of years with growing success - they first organised the stunt in 2016 after millionaire Brexit donor Arron Banks paid thousands of pounds to have union flags handed out.
The Remain campaigners claimed a publicity victory in 2017 when BBC television pictures showed a sea of blue and gold stars at the traditionally patriotic event.
It provoked Nigel Farage to angrily tweet complaining that the concertgoers who waved the flags were in denial about Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
Last year they gave out a record-breaking 50,000 flags which were waved at venues across the nations.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 10 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
This year the team has successfully crowdfunded to continue the stunt, but due to coronavirus restrictions the BBC have prevented audiences gathering to watch the spectacle.
Instead the campaigners are keeping the stocks for next year's event, and instead will keep the tradition going with a virtual event.
The team has created a printable version of the European flag to wave during the event.
The EU Flag Mafia are urging people to tweet and share photographs of themselves waving a European flag from 20.00 on Saturday September 12.
The pictures and videos can be tweeted using the hashtags #BBCProms #LNOP and #ThankEUForTheMusic, as well as on Facebook on the 'Thank EU for the Music' page.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.