Live TV descends into chaos as pro-Brexit louts shout ‘appalling language’ at Remain MP
- Credit: Archant
A live television interview with pro-Remain Tory MP Anna Soubry on live television descened into chaos as a group of pro-Brexit protesters shouted 'liar', 'nazi' and 'traitor' at the MP.
The MP remained defiant in an interview on Sky News as the protesters attempted to intimidate the MP as she was asked questions by presenter Kay Burley.
The pair were forced to use handheld microphones as the noise became intolerable.
She said that the pro-Brexit protesters were 'fascist' supporters of Tommy Robinson and that said she would not be 'scared' or 'intimated' by their behaviour.
She called for the police to intervene as she told Burley: 'I don't have a problem with people demonstrating and having their views heard. I do have a problem with people shouting 'traitor' or 'Soubry, you nazi!'
You may also want to watch:
'That is a criminal offence and I am a criminal law barrister. I am also a lass from Worksop. I don't get scared by these people or intimidated. And of course I was a reporter for Central during the miners' strike so I don't feel physically intimidated.
'My difficulty is I want to respond - and you musn't - so I'm really behaving myself. You might imagine what I'd like to do.
- 1 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 2 More approve of EU leadership than Boris Johnson's premiership, poll finds
- 3 Liz Truss to deliver speech rejecting 'Britain First' strategy ahead of US election
- 4 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 5 MANDRAKE: Chilling news for Telegraph bosses
- 6 Minister self-isolates just a day after being spotted flouting mask rules
- 7 Tory MP says policies no longer match 'principles on which millions have backed us'
- 8 Tory minister's claim over free school meals funding gets quickly debunked
- 9 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 10 Questions over Nigel Farage's quarantine status as he appears on stage with Donald Trump at rally
'These people are members of the English Defence League, supporters of the so-called Tommy Robinson man. These are fascists and overwhelmingly, it seems, racists. They have no regard for law at all.
'Brexit has also unleashed these people. This is Britain now - this is not the Britain I know and love. They do not represent our country and they need sorting out.'
She added: 'What we've done is empowered these people.'
Soubry said that the message that the prime minister's deal can repair the troubles facing the country was wrong, and that it needed to be taken back to a People's Vote for a solution that 'can solve it once and for all'.
She said: 'We need to get back to being a tolerant country where we respect all views of differences and divergences.'
The protesters continued to heckle the MP as she toured the different platforms for the news channels.
Before Christmas the police were forced to probe a far-right 'yellow vest' group that intimidated Soubry as she walked between Westminster buildings.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.