‘In my eyes we’ve left’ - Brexiteer believes we’ve already left EU
- Credit: Archant
A Brexiteer has been mocked for claiming on television news that we have already left the European Union.
Speaking on Sky News the leaver was asked about the fact that the United Kingdom had not left the European Union on the planned date of March 29th.
But the buoyant Brexiteer told the reporter: '29th of March should have been the day we leave, and in my eyes we've left'.
A somewhat bemused reporter bluntly pointed out that 'it's not and you haven't.'
But he quickly responded: 'So what? In my eyes, we have!'
You may also want to watch:
The Brexiteer added that March 29th remained 'independence day' and he was 'going to celebrate it next year, and the year after.'
The clip was picked up by US television presenter John Oliver who said he now found a solution to Brexit.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 3 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 4 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 5 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 6 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn loses bid to release Labour documents ahead of High Court battle
- 8 Brussels politician says Boris Johnson should 'pay for EU workers to stay' in UK
- 9 Boris Johnson is the 'worst PM' and should resign, says Alastair Campbell
- 10 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
He said: 'If all that matters to Brexit supporters is what happens in their eyes, we may have just found a solution.
'Cancel Brexit, but allow everyone to say it happened, if it makes them feel better. That way no devastating economic consequences, and Brexit supporters get to live happily every after in their own personal United Kingdom of the imagination!'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.