Brexiteer MP called a ‘traitor’ by Brexit-supporting member of the public
- Credit: Archant
A Conservative Brexiteer has been accused of being a liar and a traitor by a Brexit-supporting member of the public as he gave a television interview.
The MP for Monmouth David Davies was speaking to BBC Wales about a rise in abuse against MPs when he was confronted by the woman.
In the footage, the woman calls him a "traitor" when he tells her he is pro-Brexit but voted for Theresa May's deal.
"You are a liar. You did not vote to leave," she says.
"Shame on you. You're a traitor," she adds.
You may also want to watch:
"You should feel uncomfortable. You've betrayed 17.4 million people."
Speaking to the camera, Davies, who has started wearing a body camera to and from parliament in response to intimidation, says: "And that's what you put up with when you're out here all the time."
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 8 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 9 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 10 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
Twitter users were shocked by the clip.
Julie Owen Moylan said: "This woman is everything that is wrong with our politics. The fact she feels empowered to try and intimidate an MP is Brexit on steroids.
"Calling people traitors and snowflakes is the language of fascism. When David Davies is not Brexity enough for you, we are in a bad way."
Hasan Patel tweeted: "Brexit has become such a farce that the Brexit people are now turning on each other. It has unleashed so much differences of opinion that this woman has moved so extreme where she thinks David Davies has betrayed her!"
Femi Oluwole wrote: "This is what happens when you treat a 48% approval rating for our current relationship with the EU, is if it was somehow a 52% mandate for ANY other relationship! Brexit voters fighting Brexit voters over what Brexit they voted for!"
Welsh Assembly member Alun Davies meanwhile praised the politician for how he handled the incident.
"But we also need a conversation about how we can disagree with each other, have a serious debate and rebuild our politics. In Wales and the UK," he added.
The Monmouth MP replied saying he "100%" agreed.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.