Brexiteer MP called a ‘traitor’ by Brexit-supporting member of the public
- Credit: Archant
A Conservative Brexiteer has been accused of being a liar and a traitor by a Brexit-supporting member of the public as he gave a television interview.
The MP for Monmouth David Davies was speaking to BBC Wales about a rise in abuse against MPs when he was confronted by the woman.
In the footage, the woman calls him a "traitor" when he tells her he is pro-Brexit but voted for Theresa May's deal.
"You are a liar. You did not vote to leave," she says.
"Shame on you. You're a traitor," she adds.
You may also want to watch:
"You should feel uncomfortable. You've betrayed 17.4 million people."
Speaking to the camera, Davies, who has started wearing a body camera to and from parliament in response to intimidation, says: "And that's what you put up with when you're out here all the time."
- 1 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 2 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 3 Nigel Farage launches new party in Scotland to promote 'positive case for the Union'
- 4 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 5 The worryingly familiar signs for Britain's vaccine roll-out
- 6 Brexit changes lead to exodus of Brits from Spain, UK nationals claim
- 7 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 8 Fears government could scrap workers' rights in post-Brexit overhaul of labour laws
- 9 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 10 Keir Starmer got it right with vote on Brexit deal
Twitter users were shocked by the clip.
Julie Owen Moylan said: "This woman is everything that is wrong with our politics. The fact she feels empowered to try and intimidate an MP is Brexit on steroids.
"Calling people traitors and snowflakes is the language of fascism. When David Davies is not Brexity enough for you, we are in a bad way."
Hasan Patel tweeted: "Brexit has become such a farce that the Brexit people are now turning on each other. It has unleashed so much differences of opinion that this woman has moved so extreme where she thinks David Davies has betrayed her!"
Femi Oluwole wrote: "This is what happens when you treat a 48% approval rating for our current relationship with the EU, is if it was somehow a 52% mandate for ANY other relationship! Brexit voters fighting Brexit voters over what Brexit they voted for!"
Welsh Assembly member Alun Davies meanwhile praised the politician for how he handled the incident.
"But we also need a conversation about how we can disagree with each other, have a serious debate and rebuild our politics. In Wales and the UK," he added.
The Monmouth MP replied saying he "100%" agreed.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.