Brexiteer says Boris Johnson is too close to Macron to deliver EU exit
- Credit: Archant
Boris Johnson will fail to deliver Brexit because he is 'in with Macron', according to an irate LBC caller.
Karen, who called into Shelagh Fogarty's show, said she wouldn't vote for the Conservatives in the general election after seeing Johnson being "pally pally" with other world leaders during the Nato summit at Buckingham Palace.
With no Brexit Party candidates standing in her constituency, Karen added it was not worth voting at all.
She said: "Labour doesn't agree with Brexit and I don't think Boris will do the Brexit that I want.
"I don't trust him to be honest. He was standing there (at Buckingham Palace) with Macron and the others and I don't think he's going to do Brexit.
You may also want to watch:
"He's in with all the top people, so he's not going to do it properly."
Fogarty, who was visibly taken aback by Karen's comments, asked what Johnson was expected to do instead of talking to leaders including Emmanuel Macron and Justin Trudeau.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 5 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 6 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 7 Tory MP who voted against her own party to support free school meals motion quits government in protest
- 8 'Shameful' Tory minister defends government memo attacking Marcus Rashford's free school meals call
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 Political commentator delivers blistering response to Tory backbenchers offended by Angela Rayner's slur
"He's the prime minister. He was at a summit - he's bound to speak to them," said Fogarty.
"He's got to speak to them - it's his job. What do you want him to do - swan around punching people at the palace because he's going to deliver Brexit?"
But Karen said Johnson's body language proved Brexit will be "wishy washy", instead of the deal "every day people want".
The caller then vented her frustrations over the EU, adding: "Why are we governed by these people? We give all our money to them and where does that money go?
"People went out and voted for Brexit two-and-a-half years ago and we haven't got it. What is the rest of the world thinking?"
Despite Karen's conclusion, Johnson's interaction with Macron, Trudeau and Princess Anne at the Nato summit has been making headlines for different reasons.
Footage appears to show the world leaders joking about Donald Trump, although it is not known who they are talking about during the exchange.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.