Brexiteers fail at European flag burning stunts due to EU regulations
- Credit: Archant
Brexiteers have once again failed at their latest stunt to try to burn European flags after EU regulations got in the way of their attempts.
One example was captured for the Bolton News as a handful of Brexiteers tried to burn flags in Victoria Square whilst waiting for the bells to ring to mark the UK's departure from the EU.
But because of the EU's safety regulations requiring the flags to be made from fireproof materials the flag refused to burn.
In a video circulating online a female attendee tries to dissuade the group from looking foolish by telling them that there is "no need to burn flags".
But they continued until it eventually became apparent that the flags would not burn, when they started to tear it instead.
Danny Crompton, who filmed one of the incidents, told the News: "I think they'd had a few to drink before coming and one guy was being goaded by another group of people to burn the flag.
You may also want to watch:
"He was a bit reluctant at first but after a bit of pressure he started trying to set it on fire.
"For grown guys to act like that is a bit disgusting, they were singing God Save the Queen but stopped after one verse.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 4 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 5 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 6 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 7 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 10 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
"One guy was getting a little irritated with them, he said he was ex-forces and the idiots didn't know the words to the National Anthem."
There were similar attempts across the UK, including in London, where protesters were congregating in Parliament Square. The attempts were filmed by CNN.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.