Brexiteers fail at European flag burning stunts due to EU regulations
- Credit: Archant
Brexiteers have once again failed at their latest stunt to try to burn European flags after EU regulations got in the way of their attempts.
One example was captured for the Bolton News as a handful of Brexiteers tried to burn flags in Victoria Square whilst waiting for the bells to ring to mark the UK's departure from the EU.
But because of the EU's safety regulations requiring the flags to be made from fireproof materials the flag refused to burn.
In a video circulating online a female attendee tries to dissuade the group from looking foolish by telling them that there is "no need to burn flags".
But they continued until it eventually became apparent that the flags would not burn, when they started to tear it instead.
Danny Crompton, who filmed one of the incidents, told the News: "I think they'd had a few to drink before coming and one guy was being goaded by another group of people to burn the flag.
You may also want to watch:
"He was a bit reluctant at first but after a bit of pressure he started trying to set it on fire.
"For grown guys to act like that is a bit disgusting, they were singing God Save the Queen but stopped after one verse.
- 1 Politics is moving back to a battlefield which does not suit Boris Johnson
- 2 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 3 Boris Johnson still has questions to answer about Caribbean holiday
- 4 Salmon industry insist officials miscalculated post-Brexit export figures
- 5 French skippers blockade lorries carrying UK-landed fish in protest against post-Brexit fishing rules
- 6 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 7 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
- 8 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 9 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 10 MEPs warn Brexit deal could be cancelled if No 10 continues to ignore terms
"One guy was getting a little irritated with them, he said he was ex-forces and the idiots didn't know the words to the National Anthem."
There were similar attempts across the UK, including in London, where protesters were congregating in Parliament Square. The attempts were filmed by CNN.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.