Letter: With leading Brexiteers in retreat they should back a People’s Vote
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Brexit is moving into a new and hopefully terminal phase.
Aware that they have no majority in the parliamentary Conservative Party, the Brexiteers are in retreat.
I expect this new era will be soundtracked by moans about how their special Brexit has been ruined and how all its golden opportunities have been lost in a fog of compromise.
This will be the mantra from Rees-Mogg, Farage and probably from Boris and DD for the next few years. There is an alternative: I wonder whether any of them can be persuaded into supporting a People's Vote with three possible outcomes: the Chequers agreement deal (or whatever version of it the EU agrees to), a cliff-edge hard Brexit under WTO rules and staying in the EU?
You may also want to watch:
It is obvious why the Brexiteers whine about 'Project Fear' – it is actually their fear; the fear that their endless reckless and unsupported claims have been rumbled.
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Progressive alliance could see Labour win 351 seats at next election, new analysis reveals
- 3 What Auf Wiedersehen, Pet teaches us about Britain and Europe
- 4 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 5 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 6 An actor whose politics were a touchy subject
- 7 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 8 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
- 9 Michel Barnier tells Britain Brexit red tape is here 'for good'
- 10 The rocky road to Rejoin
Remain arguments are clearly 'Project Reality' because they are evidence-based.
Your NHS special made it clear that Brexit has already consumed vast amounts of NHS finance that could have been used for patients.
The UK can have either essential NHS funding or Brexit. The motto should be 'Remain is the only good deal'.
• Send your letters for publication in The New European to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.