Letter: With leading Brexiteers in retreat they should back a People’s Vote
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Brexit is moving into a new and hopefully terminal phase.
Aware that they have no majority in the parliamentary Conservative Party, the Brexiteers are in retreat.
I expect this new era will be soundtracked by moans about how their special Brexit has been ruined and how all its golden opportunities have been lost in a fog of compromise.
This will be the mantra from Rees-Mogg, Farage and probably from Boris and DD for the next few years. There is an alternative: I wonder whether any of them can be persuaded into supporting a People's Vote with three possible outcomes: the Chequers agreement deal (or whatever version of it the EU agrees to), a cliff-edge hard Brexit under WTO rules and staying in the EU?
You may also want to watch:
It is obvious why the Brexiteers whine about 'Project Fear' – it is actually their fear; the fear that their endless reckless and unsupported claims have been rumbled.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
Remain arguments are clearly 'Project Reality' because they are evidence-based.
Your NHS special made it clear that Brexit has already consumed vast amounts of NHS finance that could have been used for patients.
The UK can have either essential NHS funding or Brexit. The motto should be 'Remain is the only good deal'.
• Send your letters for publication in The New European to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.