EU gives Britain a June deadline to make progress on Northern Ireland
- Credit: PA
Britain and the EU need to reach agreement on the Northern Ireland border issue by June, Michel Barnier today warned.
Many of the operational details have yet to be agreed and the vexed question of the UK's only land border with an EU state after Brexit is at the centre of intensive work by officials at present.
Mr Barnier said: 'We need to agree rapidly by June on the scope of all-island customs and regulations, the safety and controls that we need to respect the single market.'
He said the June meeting of European leaders in Brussels would be a 'stepping stone' for the final summit in October, which is the deadline for reaching an agreement on withdrawal.
A joint report on the UK's withdrawal agreed in December by Prime Minister Theresa May and European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker included both British proposals, along with a third 'backstop' option which would keep Northern Ireland in the customs union.
You may also want to watch:
But a version published by the EU in February and agreed by the EU27 last month contained only the 'backstop', effectively drawing a customs border down the Irish Sea, which a furious Mrs May said 'no British prime minister could ever agree'.
Mr Barnier visited the Irish border town of Dundalk, Co Louth, for a conference on Monday.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 5 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 6 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 7 Welsh government refused permission for legal challenge over post-Brexit bill
- 8 New research reveals half of Brexit supporters were not 'left behind' red-wall voters
- 9 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 10 Annalena Baerbock: Can the Queen of Green seize the Bundestag?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.