Campaigners plan legal challenge to demand 'Mueller-style' Brexit inquiry
Campaigners are preparing to launch a legal challenge to demand the government holds a public inquiry into political interference during the Brexit referendum.
Pressure group Fair Vote UK wants an independent probe - similar to the Mueller investigation in America - to look at concerns over Russian disinformation, the involvement of data companies and electoral spending during the 2016 vote.
The group said it was seeking to pursue a judicial review and that its lawyers had sent a pre-action letter to the government after it rejected earlier calls for an inquiry.
Kyle Taylor, director of Fair Vote UK, said there was "significant public concern" over the referendum process.
He said: "By not holding an inquiry, the UK makes it a certainty that future elections will be tainted in the same way... only a public inquiry headed by a judge with formal powers to compel witnesses can find out what truly happened."
You may also want to watch:
Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson has previously demanded a "Mueller-style" probe based on the FBI investigation into Russian links to Donald Trump's presidential campaign.
He said he hoped Fair Vote UK's legal challenge would "force a government re-think".
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 3 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 4 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 5 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 6 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 7 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 8 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 9 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 10 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
He said: "Mueller has shown that we need to follow the money - and the lies - to get to the truth about how votes are unfairly won.
"Given what we know about law-breaking, Russian involvement and massive data abuse issues, it is essential that we have a full public inquiry into what happened in the referendum.
"We need to know what went wrong so we can fix it and safeguard our democracy."
The letter sent to the government by lawyers on behalf of Fair Vote UK says that it is seeking the investigation due to "the scale of the evidence of irregular and unlawful conduct".
Liberal Democrat MP Alistair Carmichael said he was backing the group's call, adding: "I... hope we finally get the answers we as citizens need."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.