Campbell irks BBC and Farage by brandishing The New European during live interview
- Credit: Archant
Alastair Campbell upset both the BBC and Nigel Farage waving a copy of The New European on one of its major political programmes.
Farage and Campbell were joined on the Daily Politics by evicted Love Island contestant Hayley Hughes, who appeared in the news last week for her confusion over the Brexit process.
She was invited on to the programme to be educated by political reporter Adam Fleming who explained the process of the UK leaving the EU before she taught the reporter about reality television.
You may also want to watch:
To much discomfort from BBC presenter Jo Coburn and guest Farage, The New European editor-in-chief Campbell proceeded to unravel a copy of the newspaper on-screen explaining to Hughes that 'if you want to know about Brexit you want to get this new newspaper'.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 3 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 8 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 9 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 10 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
Despite featuring the front page of the Daily Mail just moments before in a discussion on immigration, Coburn warned against the 'product placement' of the pro-European newspaper, as Farage jeered the promotion.
Unabashed Campbell lobbed a copy of the newspaper into the lap of the former UKIP leader before the conversation moved back to the topic of Love Island.
Hughes later appeared in a video on Campbell's Twitter feed which encouraged people to join the People's Vote march over the weekend.
MORE: Chris Grey examines whether the BBC has been biased over BrexitMORE: Brexit bias? Attacks on the BBC are a classic case of misdirectionMORE: A supine stance on Brexit won't save the BBC from the hard right
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.