Caroline Lucas - ‘If the Lib Dems don’t give a f**k what 17.4m people said, just say so’
- Credit: PA
Caroline Lucas has launched a foul-mouthed denunciation of the Liberal Democrats for their policy of stopping Brexit without a second referendum, in a sign of tensions in the Remain alliance.
The former leader of the Green Party criticised the Lib Dems' policy of revoking Article 50, saying: "If you wanted to send a message to 17.4m people that you don't give a fuck about what they just said, why don't you just say so?"
The comments were made in an interview with JOE, where Lucas discussed the newly-minted Remain alliance with Plaid Cymru and the Lib Dems and the importance of the climate as a factor in this election, compared to Brexit.
The Green candidate for Brighton Pavilion, where she has been an MP since 2010, also said "the planet is more important than Europe", adding: "The make-up of this next parliament really, really matters. There are some things that are bigger than Brexit and the climate emergency is certainly one of them".
Lucas also said the Unite to Remain alliance "was not a cause of a euphoria because what we're having to do is basically game a horrible electoral system that doesn't allow people's votes to translate into seats.
You may also want to watch:
READ MORE: 'Unprecedented' - Pro-Remain parties agree not to contest each other in 60 seatsREAD MORE: People's Vote reveal 100 'top target' seats for keeping Tories out"We've regularly had situations where a government has had 35% of the vote but they get 55% of the seats. A million people voted Green in 2015 and they only got one MP. I wish we could just change the voting system."
Lucas claimed she felt that the Lib Dems' position on revoking Article 50 was a "kick in the teeth for 17.4 million people" and one of many "major policy differences between the Lib Dems and Greens.
- 1 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 2 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 3 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 4 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 5 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 6 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 7 Tory anger as Labour to hold vote on establishing committee to investigate cronyism
- 8 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 9 A lesson from the last of Mainwaring's men
- 10 Tory government 'doesn't think it has to be abide by rules', says former civil servant
Lucas said that the Green Party joined the alliance because "the Lib Dems probably won't form the next government, but what they have said is - until now - they have been in the position of a People's Vote".
The full interview can be found here.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.