Broadcaster defends cutting Donald Trump out of Home Alone 2
- Credit: Archant
Canada's national broadcaster has defended its decision to cut Donald Trump's cameo from Home Alone 2: Lost In New York.
Trump, at the time a prominent businessman, famously made a brief appearance in the 1992 comedy, giving directions to Macaulay Culkin's Kevin McCallister in a hotel lobby.
However in a recent broadcast by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), the US president's scene was edited out, sparking outrage from Trump's supporters.
His son, Donald Jr, retweeted an article describing the move as "pathetic" while a presenter on the conservative-leaning Fox News show Fox & Friends said it was "censorship".
But the CBC has now responded and said they edited Home Alone 2 to save time and the cuts were made in 2014, two years before Trump's November 2016 election victory.
You may also want to watch:
Chuck Thompson, head of public affairs at the CBC, said: "As is often the case with feature films adapted for television, Home Alone 2 was edited for time. The scene with Donald Trump was one of several that were cut from the movie as none of them were integral to the plot.
"These edits were done in 2014 when we first acquired the film and before Mr Trump was elected president."
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
Before becoming president Trump, 73, was a well-known businessman and showbiz personality who made frequent appearances in TV shows and films.
On Christmas Eve, he spoke to US troops based overseas and told them it was an "honour" to appear in Home Alone 2.
According to CNN, Trump was asked about his favourite Christmas film and replied: "Well I'm in Home Alone 2. A lot of people mention it every year, especially around Christmas. They say - especially young kids- they say, 'I just saw you on the movie.' They don't see me on television as they do in the movie.
"But it's been a good movie and I was a little younger, to put it mildly. And it was an honour to do it."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.