Deluded Tory MP: ‘British spirit will make Brexit a success’
- Credit: Archant
A Brexiteer MP is being mocked on Twitter for his blustering, misplaced bulldog-spirit optimism in the face of mounting fears over a no-deal Brexit.
Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover, has said the country has nothing to fear in the event of a Brexit deadlock thanks to the British spirit and our 'backs to the wall attitude'.
The blindly optimistic Elphicke said: 'We should have been planning two years ago, ministers should have been making sure that we are fully prepared and funding the investment needed.'
Asked on LBC why he thought a no-deal is nothing to worry about he added: 'Because our country, when it's necessary, when our backs are against the wall, there's no challenge we can't overcome.
'There's nothing we can't do.'
You may also want to watch:
To which presenter Clive Bull responded: 'That's great rhetoric, isn't it? But we've got two reports here saying it will look pretty terrible in Dover in the circumstances of a no deal because nothing has been sorted out.'
The Brexiteer's comments came a day after Dover District Council's Brexit impact report revealed a temporary 13-mile 'lorry park' on the M20 could last years if there is a no-deal Brexit.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 3 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 4 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 5 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 6 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
- 9 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 10 Matt Hancock's NHS message backfires after appearing in hospital without a face mask
It did not take long for Twitter users to make the link between Elphicke's bonkers 'British spirit' and the country's reputation for queuing.
Tweeter Bernie said: 'British spirit – sat in 20 mile traffic queues because his government haven't got a clue...'
Another, Peter Stefanovic, tweeted: 'Tory MP Charlie Elphicke says British spirit will make no-deal Brexit a success. Well that's all right then, I was starting to worry.'
Elphicke was suspended from the Conservative party in November 2017 and is currently under investigation following allegations of sex offences against two members of his staff which he denies.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.