Deluded Tory MP: ‘British spirit will make Brexit a success’
- Credit: Archant
A Brexiteer MP is being mocked on Twitter for his blustering, misplaced bulldog-spirit optimism in the face of mounting fears over a no-deal Brexit.
Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover, has said the country has nothing to fear in the event of a Brexit deadlock thanks to the British spirit and our 'backs to the wall attitude'.
The blindly optimistic Elphicke said: 'We should have been planning two years ago, ministers should have been making sure that we are fully prepared and funding the investment needed.'
Asked on LBC why he thought a no-deal is nothing to worry about he added: 'Because our country, when it's necessary, when our backs are against the wall, there's no challenge we can't overcome.
'There's nothing we can't do.'
You may also want to watch:
To which presenter Clive Bull responded: 'That's great rhetoric, isn't it? But we've got two reports here saying it will look pretty terrible in Dover in the circumstances of a no deal because nothing has been sorted out.'
The Brexiteer's comments came a day after Dover District Council's Brexit impact report revealed a temporary 13-mile 'lorry park' on the M20 could last years if there is a no-deal Brexit.
- 1 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 2 British fisherman expresses regret over Brexit vote on Danish TV
- 3 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 4 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 5 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 6 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 7 Priti Patel plan to deport EU rough sleepers from UK branded ‘inhumane’ by charity
- 8 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 9 James Dyson moves main address back to the UK
- 10 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
It did not take long for Twitter users to make the link between Elphicke's bonkers 'British spirit' and the country's reputation for queuing.
Tweeter Bernie said: 'British spirit – sat in 20 mile traffic queues because his government haven't got a clue...'
Another, Peter Stefanovic, tweeted: 'Tory MP Charlie Elphicke says British spirit will make no-deal Brexit a success. Well that's all right then, I was starting to worry.'
Elphicke was suspended from the Conservative party in November 2017 and is currently under investigation following allegations of sex offences against two members of his staff which he denies.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.