Boris Johnson is lying over coronavirus situation in Spain, says Labour MP
- Credit: PA
A Labour MP has said that Boris Johnson is lying about the coronavirus situation in Spain - and that the spread in Britain is far worse.
Chris Bryant, chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Spain, said Boris Johnson was 'using a JCB to deal with this' rather than 'a stiletto'.
He said 'people will lose confidence' if the government continues with the reckless approach, saying it should be more refined.
Bryant said he did not believe Johnson when she said there would be a second wave.
He explained: 'I believe parts of Spain are having a second wave just as we've had to have a second lockdown in Leicester and people have looked at very carefully at other places like Bradford and so on'.
You may also want to watch:
Bryant accepted there was a problem in Catalonia, but he added the situation in Britain was much more disastrous.
'I think there's a real possibility of a second spike in the UK, not least because the mixed messaging from the British government has been disastrous.'
- 1 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 2 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 3 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 4 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 5 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 8 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 9 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 10 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
The Labour MP said he believed that Dominic Cummings was responsible, leading the presenter to claim that he was not involved in the actual decision making.
'I think he is involved in making the decisions, that's very clear', replied the MP.
Asked why Johnson would lie about the situation, Bryant snapped back: 'Have you watched a Boris Johnson press conference? I mean really! Boris Johnson was sacked twice for lying.'
He continued: 'I am absolutely clear there are parts of the world where governments have behaved negligently, they have lied to their people, they have pretended this didn't matter.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.