Boris Johnson is lying over coronavirus situation in Spain, says Labour MP
- Credit: PA
A Labour MP has said that Boris Johnson is lying about the coronavirus situation in Spain - and that the spread in Britain is far worse.
Chris Bryant, chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Spain, said Boris Johnson was 'using a JCB to deal with this' rather than 'a stiletto'.
He said 'people will lose confidence' if the government continues with the reckless approach, saying it should be more refined.
Bryant said he did not believe Johnson when she said there would be a second wave.
He explained: 'I believe parts of Spain are having a second wave just as we've had to have a second lockdown in Leicester and people have looked at very carefully at other places like Bradford and so on'.
You may also want to watch:
Bryant accepted there was a problem in Catalonia, but he added the situation in Britain was much more disastrous.
'I think there's a real possibility of a second spike in the UK, not least because the mixed messaging from the British government has been disastrous.'
- 1 Poll: Laurence Fox in joint last place with Count Binface in race for London mayor
- 2 British fisherman expresses regret over Brexit vote on Danish TV
- 3 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 4 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 5 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
- 6 Priti Patel plan to deport EU rough sleepers from UK branded ‘inhumane’ by charity
- 7 Government scraps Pick for Britain programme after Brits fill as few as 5% of roles
- 8 James Dyson moves main address back to the UK
- 9 Ex-minister says Boris Johnson's government is a 'cesspit' where 'almost nobody' tells the truth
- 10 Government to dissolve parliament ahead of Queen’s Speech
The Labour MP said he believed that Dominic Cummings was responsible, leading the presenter to claim that he was not involved in the actual decision making.
'I think he is involved in making the decisions, that's very clear', replied the MP.
Asked why Johnson would lie about the situation, Bryant snapped back: 'Have you watched a Boris Johnson press conference? I mean really! Boris Johnson was sacked twice for lying.'
He continued: 'I am absolutely clear there are parts of the world where governments have behaved negligently, they have lied to their people, they have pretended this didn't matter.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.