Boris Johnson is lying over coronavirus situation in Spain, says Labour MP
- Credit: PA
A Labour MP has said that Boris Johnson is lying about the coronavirus situation in Spain - and that the spread in Britain is far worse.
Chris Bryant, chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Spain, said Boris Johnson was 'using a JCB to deal with this' rather than 'a stiletto'.
He said 'people will lose confidence' if the government continues with the reckless approach, saying it should be more refined.
Bryant said he did not believe Johnson when she said there would be a second wave.
He explained: 'I believe parts of Spain are having a second wave just as we've had to have a second lockdown in Leicester and people have looked at very carefully at other places like Bradford and so on'.
You may also want to watch:
Bryant accepted there was a problem in Catalonia, but he added the situation in Britain was much more disastrous.
'I think there's a real possibility of a second spike in the UK, not least because the mixed messaging from the British government has been disastrous.'
- 1 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 2 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 3 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
- 4 Five years of Brexit summed up by Cold War Steve
- 5 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 6 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 7 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 8 English to be temporarily replaced by French as EU's 'working language' in 2022
- 9 Major disaster: How Tories' 1992 victory sowed seeds of Brexit
- 10 Priti Patel urged to publish promised assessment on impact of ending freedom of movement
The Labour MP said he believed that Dominic Cummings was responsible, leading the presenter to claim that he was not involved in the actual decision making.
'I think he is involved in making the decisions, that's very clear', replied the MP.
Asked why Johnson would lie about the situation, Bryant snapped back: 'Have you watched a Boris Johnson press conference? I mean really! Boris Johnson was sacked twice for lying.'
He continued: 'I am absolutely clear there are parts of the world where governments have behaved negligently, they have lied to their people, they have pretended this didn't matter.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.