Labour MP: We’ll be punished for ‘helping to facilitate a Tory Brexit’
- Credit: Archant
A shadow treasury minister has warned Labour could be punished for supporting Brexit in the same way the Lib Dems suffered huge defeats for supporting the Tories in coalition.
Speaking at a 'Love socialism, hate Brexit' meeting in Westminster, Labour MP Clive Lewis drew comparisons between Labour's stance on EU withdrawal and how the Liberal Democrats tried to soften the impact of austerity while in coalition with the Conservatives.
Referring to the Lib Dems, Lewis said: 'They were utterly and comprehensively destroyed by the British public and not forgiven because they facilitated austerity. They facilitated the Tories doing that.
'And my fear is that what we are now doing is we are helping to facilitate a Tory Brexit.
'And the ramifications for our party I think will be severe.
You may also want to watch:
'And just like the Liberal Democrats, when Theresa May has bogged-off somewhere to go and put her trotters up after she has delivered her Brexit, and a new Tory leader comes in, he will say 'you know what? She was a disaster for this country. She betrayed this country. But, so too did the leader of the opposition. He was part of this sorry debacle and I am now going to move forward to try and resolve this situation in the best way I can'.
'And I tell you what, the Tory right wing mainstream media will get behind that narrative.
- 1 The only Brexit export boom is from UK businesses rushing to Europe
- 2 Boris Johnson proposes saving United Kingdom with 'Project Love' plan
- 3 The stench of scandal seeping out from Britain
- 4 MEPs again refuse to ratify Brexit deal amid concerns No 10 is flouting conditions
- 5 Former Brexit secretary 'privately agreed' with Gina Miller's court action over Article 50
- 6 How the vaccines have shifted opinions over Brexit
- 7 Tory candidate under fire after describing Brexit chaos as a 'hiccup'
- 8 PRINCE PHILIP: Why this Danish, Greek, German immigrant epitomised Britain
- 9 PMQs: Commons speaker reprimands Boris Johnson over Greensill response
- 10 Major and Blair were right about Brexit and Northern Ireland
'And it is us, the Labour Party, who will pick up a lot of the flack for what happens.'
Lewis, who has been a supporter of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership, added: 'We are now sending some mixed messages out there and that is truly dangerous.'
The MP has been recently polling his constituents back in Norwich South on Labour's Brexit position as well as whether the party should officially back a People's Vote.
The shadow minister suggested EU withdrawal could lead to military conflict in the future.
He said: 'My fear is this, if we walk away from Europe now my children, your children, or possibly our grandchildren, but probably our children could be back in Europe in a few years time - but in uniform. And I don't want to see that happen.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.