Government pursuing 'I haven't got a clue Brexit' - peer
The "clueless" government is pursuing an "I haven't got a clue Brexit", a Labour peer has said.
Lord Liddle, a former Europe adviser to Tony Blair, said "this Bill is a dagger to my heart", adding that he was overcome by a sense of shame that "over decades our political leadership failed to make the case for Europe".
The Cumbria county councillor said his constituents voted to take back control.
Speaking during the second reading debate in the House of Lords of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill, he said: "Their revolt was against an economy which is grossly out of balance, against a world of work that no longer offers self-respect and a lack of opportunity that means that over half their children leave their home area after school and never come back.
"Their grievances have for too long been allowed to fester and it's the seeds of anti-immigration populism that was sown for the unscrupulous to exploit."
You may also want to watch:
The government, he saidd was suffocated by a pursuit of Brexit that could only make his constituents' problems worse.
Lord Liddle spoke of his determination, stating: "That the bunch of scoundrels who propagated their Brexit lies aren't going to get away with it."
- 1 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 2 Remainers blamed for Boris Johnson's inability to secure Brexit deal
- 3 Leaked government dossier warns of army street patrols if second Covid-19 wave and no-deal Brexit hit UK at same time
- 4 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 5 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 6 Nicola Sturgeon, Jacinda Adern and Angela Merkel in top 5 of world’s most eloquent leaders
- 7 Michael Gove challenged over remarks UK 'holds all the cards' in Brexit talks
- 8 Minister finally concedes 'Australia-style deal' is a no-deal Brexit
- 9 Boris Johnson told to apologise for incompetence in delivering his 'oven-ready' Brexit deal
- 10 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
He added: "This clueless government is pursing an 'I haven't got a clue' Brexit.
"The only basis on which the prime minister can unite her party is pursuing a Brexit that knows not where it leads."
The only question before the country was how big the Brexit damage would actually be, he said.
Labour, he said, needed to take the opportunity to live up to its national responsibilities and internationalist heritage.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.