Tory candidate says he will force ‘nuisance tenants’ into tents and make them work
- Credit: Archant
A candidate for the Conservative Party in a key marginal has said he will force problem tenants to live in tents and work in a field if he is elected.
Lee Anderson, who is running in Ashfield, is hoping to overturn a tiny Labour majority of 441 at the constituency in Nottinghamshire. The seat is one of the Tories' key targets in this election.
In a video posted to his Facebook, and first reported by BuzzFeed News, Anderson told voters he would evict the 'nuisance tenants' who have been bothering residents.
"What I am about to say is my own personal opinion - I stood on this spot a few months ago banging on about nuisance tenants on this lovely estate.
"People say to me, 'but they've got to live somewhere'. That's right, so my plan would be, and again this is just my own personal opinion, is that these people who have to live somewhere, let's have them in a tent, in the middle of a field.
You may also want to watch:
"Six o'clock every morning, let's have them up, let's have them in the field, picking potatoes or any other seasonal vegetables, back in the tent, cold shower, lights out, six o'clock, same again the next day. That would be my solution."
WATCH: All the moments of Boris Johnson being booed, edited into one showreelWATCH: Brexit Party disowns candidate after he declared 'war' on LGBTQ communityHe has been strongly criticised for his comments online, with one Twitter user comparing his plan to "calling for the creation of forced labour camps".
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Who's on the BBC's Question Time tonight?
- 4 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 7 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 8 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 9 How the Daily Star became Boris Johnson's biggest critic
- 10 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
Another person said: "This is where the far right English Nationalist party formerly known as the Tory party are heading. Be warned!"
The Conservative Party has been contacted for comment.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.