Tory MP defects to Lib Dems over government’s ‘political manipulation, bullying and lies’
- Credit: Archant
A Conservative MP has launched a blistering attack on the 'unprincipled' approach to Brexit in Boris Johnson's government as he leaves the party to join the Liberal Democrats.
Phillip Lee, the MP for Bracknell, said he had given the issue a "great deal of thought" but had concluded the government is "undermining our country's economy, democracy and role in the world".
He is the fourth MP to join the pro-Remain party in the last few months.
Speaking after joining the party, Lee said: "Over 27 years ago I joined the Conservative & Unionist Party led by Sir John Major. Since 2010 I have had the privilege of representing the Bracknell Constituency. The party I joined in 1992 is not the party I am leaving today.
"This Conservative government is aggressively pursuing a damaging Brexit in unprincipled ways. It is putting lives and livelihoods at risk unnecessarily and it is wantonly endangering the integrity of the United Kingdom. More widely, it is undermining our country's economy, democracy and role in the world. It is using political manipulation, bullying and lies. And it is doing these things in a deliberate and considered way.
You may also want to watch:
"That is why today I am joining Jo Swinson and the Liberal Democrats. I believe the Liberal Democrats are best placed to build the unifying and inspiring political force needed to heal our divisions, unleash our talents, equip us to take the opportunities and overcome the challenges that we face as a society - and leave our country and our world in a better place for the next generations."
In 2018, Lee quit a ministerial position to fight Brexit.
- 1 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 2 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 3 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 4 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 5 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 6 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 7 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 8 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 9 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 10 GB News seeks to hire Nick Ferrari and Julia Hartley-Brewer to present on new channel
Welcoming Lee, Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson said: "I am delighted to welcome Phillip to the Liberal Democrats at this crucial time.
"He brings almost 10 years of parliamentary experience and decades of professional expertise. He shares our commitment to prevent a disastrous no-deal Brexit, and to stop Brexit altogether.
"The Liberal Democrats are growing. Phillip follows both Chuka Umunna MP and Sarah Wollaston MP in bravely crossing the floor to join us.
"Today, we also welcome Jane Dodds MP to Parliament, following her recent victory in Brecon and Radnorshire. And these representatives join over 30,000 new members, who have joined the Liberal Democrats since our best ever results in the European elections in May."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.