Pubs close days after reopening as punters test positive for coronavirus
- Credit: PA
A number of pubs which reopened their doors for the first time on Saturday have had to close again due to people testing positive for coronavirus.
Bars in England only welcomed back punters at the weekend after a lengthy lockdown which saw the hospitality sector shut since March.
But three establishments have since alerted their patrons that they have had to close again just days later, after cases of Covid-19.
The Lighthouse Kitchen and Carvery in Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, said a customer had tested positive and it was making its way through a list of people who were in the bar on Saturday.
In a statement posted on Facebook, it added: 'All our staff are going to be tested and we will reopen when the time is safe to do so.'
You may also want to watch:
The Fox and Hounds in Batley, West Yorkshire, said it would be closed until further notice after receiving a call from a customer on Monday to say they had tested positive for coronavirus.
Posting on its Facebook page, it said all staff had since taken a test and added that the pub will be 'fully deep cleaned and when safe to do so we will reopen our doors'.
- 1 The Prime Minister is out of his league
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 4 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 5 Rabbits defeat French army
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 8 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 9 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 10 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
The Village Home Pub in Alverstoke, Gosport, said it had also 'had a case of Coronavirus in the pub', adding that 'some of us are in isolation'.
Its statement on Facebook said: 'The pub is now shut but all being well will open again on Saturday. Anyone who was in the pub over the weekend there is no need to isolate unless you show symptoms or are contacted direct by the trace group. Thank you and hope to see you soon.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.