UK only formally requested PPE from Turkey after announcing it at press briefing
- Credit: PA
Government ministers only formally requested personal protective equipment (PPE) from Turkey on Sunday after announcing at a Downing Street briefing it was on the way.
Housing minister Robert Jenrick told reporters at Downing Street's daily press conference on Sunday that a 'very significant additional shipment' of PPE - around 84,000 tonnes, including 400,000 gowns - was on course to arrive in the UK by Monday.
But it has since emerged that senior Tory ministers did not seek the permission of Turkish authorities to transport the goods until that day, and from the country's ministry of health until Monday.
You may also want to watch:
One source told Sky News: 'The Turkish state is not responsible for any delay. We are ready to help in any way we can'. Another said Turkish authorities acted quickly to issue permits.
- 1 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 2 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 5 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
- 6 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 7 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 8 An actor whose politics were a touchy subject
- 9 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
- 10 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
'It's ridiculous to think that a country last week was helping the UK by donation and this week it is preventing (the export of PPE),' the source added.
A government source has said that the supplier in Turkey had encountered problems and asked for its government to intervene. It is believed bureaucratic hurdles such as filling out paperwork and ensuring the kit met safety and quality standards hindered progress.
A Royal Air Force, which landed in Ankara on Monday evening after leaving its Oxfordshire base, is waiting to be filled with cargo. It is understood a second military aircraft is set to arrive early Tuesday morning.
The government has been unable to explain the delay in equipment arriving in Britain.
Meanwhile, the chief executive of the NHS Confederation, which represents healthcare organisations, said the setback 'makes a difficult situation worse'.
Niall Dickson said: 'It would have been better had the government not made the announcement in the first place.'
Turkish authorities donated 250,000 pieces of PPE to Britain over the Easter weekend.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.