‘Quit while you’re behind’ - Crowdfunder launched to refund ‘cheated’ Brexit marchers
- Credit: AP
A crowdfunder has been launched to refund the '40-odd' people remaining on Nigel Farage's pro-Brexit march.
The Just Giving page has been launched by The New European editor Matt Kell,y in response to the miserable turnout for the two-week Leave Means Leave 'Brexit Betrayal March'.
The protest, which started with approximately 200 people, has diminished to fewer than 50 within two days.
The fundraiser aims to raise £2,000 to refund each of the remaining marchers the £50 back that they paid 'in good faith' to attend a large-scale event in solidarity with former UKIP leader Farage.
Farage, who has since conceded he would only be participating in a small part of the march, appears to have 'abandoned' those participating in the protest as it passes through Hartlepool, Pontefract, Doncaster and Wellingborough.
You may also want to watch:
So far 6% of the target - £122 in total - has been raised with existing donations paid out of sympathy for those who were 'lied to and cheated'.
In a tweet directed at Nigel Farage, crowdfunder organiser Kelly said: 'Can't you do the humanitarian thing and let those 40 #MarchToLeave people go back to their beds? As a PR disaster for you, it's only going to get worse. Quit while you're behind.'
• To donate to the crowdfunder log on to the Just Giving website.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.