The best reactions to that Daily Express front cover
- Credit: Archant
Twitter reacted with bafflement at the latest Daily Express front cover which called for Big Ben to chime on Brexit day.
The front reads: 3,338 days ago the Daily Express urged 'Get Britain out of the EU.' When the clock strikes 11pm on January 31, our blessed freedom from the confines of Brussels will be secure and a new chapter in the great history of this nation will begin."
It continues: "As a potent symbol of this landmark movement, one thing is certain...
"Big ben MUST bong for Brexit".
In a double-page spread the newspaper backs Boris Johnson's remarks that the costs - expected to be in the region of £500,000 - could be crowdfunded. They call for readers to help out the efforts.
So far there has been a muted response to crowdfunding initiatives on website GoFundMe.
You may also want to watch:
The front cover has been widely mocked on social media, with some users offering alternative suggestions for covers.
Here are some of the best replies proving while some have lost their minds, we haven't lost our sense of humour...
- 1 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 2 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 7 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 8 Petition launched to cancel 'festival of Brexit' event in 2022
- 9 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 10 Piers Morgan defends interview with Thérèse Coffey after accusations of 'bullying'