The best reactions to that Daily Express front cover
- Credit: Archant
Twitter reacted with bafflement at the latest Daily Express front cover which called for Big Ben to chime on Brexit day.
The front reads: 3,338 days ago the Daily Express urged 'Get Britain out of the EU.' When the clock strikes 11pm on January 31, our blessed freedom from the confines of Brussels will be secure and a new chapter in the great history of this nation will begin."
It continues: "As a potent symbol of this landmark movement, one thing is certain...
"Big ben MUST bong for Brexit".
In a double-page spread the newspaper backs Boris Johnson's remarks that the costs - expected to be in the region of £500,000 - could be crowdfunded. They call for readers to help out the efforts.
So far there has been a muted response to crowdfunding initiatives on website GoFundMe.
You may also want to watch:
The front cover has been widely mocked on social media, with some users offering alternative suggestions for covers.
Here are some of the best replies proving while some have lost their minds, we haven't lost our sense of humour...
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 6 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 7 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 8 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 9 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.