‘STAND DOWN, NIGEL!’: Right-wing newspaper in front-page Brexit panic
- Credit: The New European/Daily Mail
The Daily Mail has called on Nigel Farage to withdraw his Brexit Party from the general election over fears he could split the Leave vote.
Its front page, saying 'STAND DOWN, NIGEL!', directs readers to write to their local Brexit Party candidates with the message: "I am urging you today NOT to stand in the election".
It even lists the email addresses of Brexit Party candidates in key seats, saying: "Here's your chance to send them a polite letter urging them to stand down".
The move comes after The New European called Farage "Remain's secret weapon" in its latest cover, depicting the leader in the costume of campaigner Steve Bray or "Mr Stop Brexit".
The cover was remarked on by the Daily Mail, which labelled it "controversial".
You may also want to watch:
The New European columnist James Ball has said that veteran attention-seeker Farage now faces the choice between taking more of the limelight during the general election, or standing down in order not to split the Brexit vote between his own party and the Conservatives.
JAMES BALL: Welcome to the resistance, FarageWATCH: 'I've been called worse': Farage reacts to The New European's 'secret weapon' frontFarage has been criticised within his own party for standing candidates in 600 seats across the UK - and has been criticised outside of it for not standing himself.
- 1 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 2 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 3 Boris Johnson 'frantically repositioning' himself for Donald Trump to lose election
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 James Cleverly mocked after telling people to 'look at how they're doing in Wales'
- 6 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 8 Minister says Dido Harding is working '19-hours a day' on Test and Trace
- 9 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 10 Second shop owner bans Tory MPs who voted against free school meals motion
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.