‘STAND DOWN, NIGEL!’: Right-wing newspaper in front-page Brexit panic
- Credit: The New European/Daily Mail
The Daily Mail has called on Nigel Farage to withdraw his Brexit Party from the general election over fears he could split the Leave vote.
Its front page, saying 'STAND DOWN, NIGEL!', directs readers to write to their local Brexit Party candidates with the message: "I am urging you today NOT to stand in the election".
It even lists the email addresses of Brexit Party candidates in key seats, saying: "Here's your chance to send them a polite letter urging them to stand down".
The move comes after The New European called Farage "Remain's secret weapon" in its latest cover, depicting the leader in the costume of campaigner Steve Bray or "Mr Stop Brexit".
The cover was remarked on by the Daily Mail, which labelled it "controversial".
You may also want to watch:
The New European columnist James Ball has said that veteran attention-seeker Farage now faces the choice between taking more of the limelight during the general election, or standing down in order not to split the Brexit vote between his own party and the Conservatives.
JAMES BALL: Welcome to the resistance, FarageWATCH: 'I've been called worse': Farage reacts to The New European's 'secret weapon' frontFarage has been criticised within his own party for standing candidates in 600 seats across the UK - and has been criticised outside of it for not standing himself.
- 1 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 2 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 3 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 5 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 6 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 7 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 8 The Tory MPs who failed to vote against a Universal Credit cut
- 9 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
- 10 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.