Brexiteer MP slapped down by Polish minister for Brexit extension veto request
- Credit: Archant
A Brexiteer MP who has been pleading with the Polish prime minister to veto the requested extension of Article 50, has been summarily shut down.
Daniel Kawczynski, MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham, has claimed he is in regular contact with Mateusz Morawiecki, prime minister of Poland's rightwing government over the last months.
The 27 EU leaders, whose decision must be unanimous, are considering the UK's request for an extension, and Kawczynski has long hoped for a Polish veto.
He has been giving the issue both barrels, attempting to prevent the March 29 Brexit extension in the same way, and in October he even wrote an open letter in the Telegraph begging Moriawecki to save his hard Brexit.
MORE: Tory MP asks Polish government to block Article 50 deadline extensionBut according to journalist Jakub Krupa, the Polish government given him short shrift.
Poland's Europe minister, Konrad Szyma?ski, told Krupa that "no deal Brexit is not in the Polish interest and we will have no part in this".
You may also want to watch:
Kawczynski's efforts have been branded hypocritical after members of the ERG called for the government to make it a crime to "undermine official negotiations" with foreign leaders.
Morawiecki's government has represented one of the hopes for the Brexiteers in preventing an extension to Article 50, along with hard-right Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orbán and increasingly impatient French president Emmanuel Macron.
- 1 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 2 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 3 Rabbits defeat French army
- 4 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 5 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.