Brexiteer MP slapped down by Polish minister for Brexit extension veto request
- Credit: Archant
A Brexiteer MP who has been pleading with the Polish prime minister to veto the requested extension of Article 50, has been summarily shut down.
Daniel Kawczynski, MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham, has claimed he is in regular contact with Mateusz Morawiecki, prime minister of Poland's rightwing government over the last months.
The 27 EU leaders, whose decision must be unanimous, are considering the UK's request for an extension, and Kawczynski has long hoped for a Polish veto.
He has been giving the issue both barrels, attempting to prevent the March 29 Brexit extension in the same way, and in October he even wrote an open letter in the Telegraph begging Moriawecki to save his hard Brexit.
MORE: Tory MP asks Polish government to block Article 50 deadline extensionBut according to journalist Jakub Krupa, the Polish government given him short shrift.
Poland's Europe minister, Konrad Szyma?ski, told Krupa that "no deal Brexit is not in the Polish interest and we will have no part in this".
You may also want to watch:
Kawczynski's efforts have been branded hypocritical after members of the ERG called for the government to make it a crime to "undermine official negotiations" with foreign leaders.
Morawiecki's government has represented one of the hopes for the Brexiteers in preventing an extension to Article 50, along with hard-right Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orbán and increasingly impatient French president Emmanuel Macron.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 5 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 6 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 7 Third Tory MP who rejected extending free school meals is targeted with local protests
- 8 Boris Johnson warned majority will be 'wiped out' over treatment towards north of England
- 9 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 10 Piers Morgan calls Boris Johnson a 'blustering buffoon' in attack on PM's handling of Covid-19 pandemic
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.