Brexiteer MP slapped down by Polish minister for Brexit extension veto request
- Credit: Archant
A Brexiteer MP who has been pleading with the Polish prime minister to veto the requested extension of Article 50, has been summarily shut down.
Daniel Kawczynski, MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham, has claimed he is in regular contact with Mateusz Morawiecki, prime minister of Poland's rightwing government over the last months.
The 27 EU leaders, whose decision must be unanimous, are considering the UK's request for an extension, and Kawczynski has long hoped for a Polish veto.
He has been giving the issue both barrels, attempting to prevent the March 29 Brexit extension in the same way, and in October he even wrote an open letter in the Telegraph begging Moriawecki to save his hard Brexit.
MORE: Tory MP asks Polish government to block Article 50 deadline extensionBut according to journalist Jakub Krupa, the Polish government given him short shrift.
Poland's Europe minister, Konrad Szyma?ski, told Krupa that "no deal Brexit is not in the Polish interest and we will have no part in this".
You may also want to watch:
Kawczynski's efforts have been branded hypocritical after members of the ERG called for the government to make it a crime to "undermine official negotiations" with foreign leaders.
Morawiecki's government has represented one of the hopes for the Brexiteers in preventing an extension to Article 50, along with hard-right Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orbán and increasingly impatient French president Emmanuel Macron.
- 1 Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid reject Boris Johnson's coronavirus claim
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 4 Sky News presenter says Boris Johnson is 'gaslighting the nation' over Covid claims
- 5 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 6 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
- 7 PMQs: Boris Johnson calls for apology from Keir Starmer over coronavirus stances
- 8 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 9 Home Office launches voluntary repatriation scheme for EU nationals
- 10 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.