Tory MP asks Polish government to block Article 50 deadline extension
- Credit: Archant
A Tory Brexiteer MP has approached a foreign government asking it to veto the UK's attempts to extend Article 50.
According to the MP's local paper the Shropshire Star, Daniel Kawczynski said: "Remain MPs wishing to overturn the will of the British people are using every subterfuge going to kneecap the prime minister ahead of a very difficult and complicated negotiation in the run-up to the European Council meeting on October 17."
The Shrewsbury MP said he had been in regular contact with both the Polish president Andrzej Duda and prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki with the request, but has redoubled his efforts since parliament voted to force a delay on Boris Johnson if the prime minister cannot secure a withdrawal deal.
Every country in the EU has a veto on the decision and Poland is seen as one of the best hopes for Brexiteers seeking to thwart the wishes of the UK parliament.
Kawczynski said MPs were "trying to bind [the prime minister's] hands" and accused them of trying to "kick the stool from under our lead negotiator when he is fighting for Britain".
You may also want to watch:
He has vowed to do anything "that is constitutionally legal" to ensure the UK leaves the EU on October 31.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 6 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 7 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 8 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 9 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 10 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.