Date set for major court showdown over no-deal Brexit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A date has been set for a hearing of a court case which seeks to stop Boris Johnson pushing ahead with a no-deal Brexit without the approval of MPs.
Judge Lord Raymond Doherty agreed to expedite the timetable for the legal challenge to take place, setting the date for the substantive hearing as Friday 6th September - days after MPs return to the House of Commons to push ahead with their own plans to stop the UK crashing out of the EU on October 31st.
Anti-Brexit campaigners have chosen to use the Scottish courts to hear their case because it sits throughout the summer period.
The legal bid, backed by more than 70 MPs and peers, is seeking to get the Court of Session in Edinburgh to rule that suspending parliament to make the UK leave the EU without a deal is "unlawful and unconstitutional".
The cross-party group of politicians is backing the legal petition, supported by the Good Law Project, which won a victory at the European Court of Justice last year over whether the UK could unilaterally cancel Brexit by revoking Article 50.
You may also want to watch:
During today's initial hearing petitioners Jolyon Maugham and Joanna Cherry MP argued that the courts "must do their duty" as no-deal Brexit significantly affects Scotland and the UK as a whole.
The petitioners argued that a public expenses order was needed to protect MPs from significant legal costs and to avoid preventing access to justice on an "issue of national importance".
- 1 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 8 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 9 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
Maugham and Cherry also urged judge Lord Doherty to fast-track the decision to prevent any delays that would benefit the government.
Andrew Webster QC representing the government, however, argued that a contribution should be made to "protect the public purse" from the costs of litigation.
Speaking before the hearing Jolyon Maugham QC, director of the Good Law Project, told PA: "A man with no mandate seeks to cancel parliament for fear it will stop him inflicting on an unwilling public an outcome they did not vote for and do not want.
"That's certainly not democracy and I expect our courts to say it's not the law."
One petitioner, Edinburgh South Labour MP Ian Murray, said: "When Boris Johnson unveiled his vacuous slogan 'taking back control', voters weren't told that this could mean shutting down parliament.
"The prime minister's undemocratic proposal to hold Westminster in contempt simply can't go unchallenged.
"On behalf of voters across the UK, this cross-party legal challenge aims to prevent him riding roughshod over British democracy.
"A no-deal Brexit would be catastrophic for Scotland and the UK, and voters deserve a final say on whether they want to keep the best deal we have and remain in the EU."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.