Tories reinstate councillor who made Islamophobic posts
- Credit: Houghton Regis Town Council/Conservatives
A Conservative councillor who was suspended from the party for 'offensive and divisive' social media posts about Muslims has been reinstated.
David Abbott, who serves on Houghton Regis Town Council, was suspended by his party for Islamophobic comments in April but appears to have been reinstated despite "little evidence of contrition".
In one Facebook post, Abbott wrote: "Moslems are commanded to do everything in their power, including killing, to rid the world of every person who does not follow Islam."
In another post he spread the common Islamophobic trope of a 'Muslim takeover' by writing: "The philosophy seems to be 'breed for Islam', thus the percentage of the population who follow the 'religion of peace' will significantly increase".
READ: Brexit Party stands by candidate who shared warnings of Muslim 'takeover'The comments were posted to an unofficial Jacob Rees-Mogg fan group on Facebook, and were found by Twitter account @MatesJacob, which is dedicated to rooting out bigotry in political candidates.
The councillor, who had become a Conservative for the May local elections, was suspended by the party but appears to have been reinstated.
You may also want to watch:
He is listed on the town council website as a Conservative and a council spokesperson confirmed he is currently an acting councillor.
The Muslim Council of Great Britain have said they were not convinced Abbott had demonstrated regret over his comments.
- 1 Pro-Brexit fishing campaigner says Boris Johnson's deal has left her with 'no fish'
- 2 Nigel Farage reminded of claim that 'acid test of Brexit' surrounds fishing after clip resurfaces
- 3 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 4 Ed Miliband mocks Kwasi Kwarteng's 'road to Damascus conversion'
- 5 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
- 6 Piers Morgan causes hilarity with 'Priti Patel with a brain' jibe
- 7 Brussels to launch campaign teaching younger Britons about the EU
- 8 Backlash over Tory MP receiving Covid-19 vaccine despite not being classed as vulnerable
- 9 Boris Johnson to visit Scotland this week in attempt to shore up the union
- 10 SNP MP asks Priti Patel why she has not stood down following UK border comments
A spokesperson for the MCGB told the Metro: "David Abbott's comments were offensive and divisive under any circumstance.
"We have seen little evidence of contrition. By readmitting him into the fold, the Conservatives are effectively condoning his views."
The Conservatives have come under fire in recent weeks after watering down a commitment made in the summer by all leadership candidates to conduct an independent inquiry into Islamophobia in the party. Baroness Sayeeda Warsi has criticised the party's decision to instead conduct an internal review of general "prejudice".
MORE: Matt Hancock accused of 'whitesplaining' Islamophobia by Baroness WarsiThe MCGB called for a thorough and independent inquiry.
"The Conservative's longstanding affiliation with Islamophobia is severely problematic for British Muslims, particularly at election time," said a spokesperson.
"The Conservative Party must not reinstate David Abbott's membership, and must launch a standalone, independent inquiry into Islamophobia which it is so deeply plagued with."
The New European has contacted the Conservatives for comment.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.