Top UK negotiator issues EU officials with two-week ultimatum on Brexit talks
- Credit: Archant
The UK's chief Brexit negotiator David Frost has issued EU officials with a two-week ultimatum telling them government is prepared to walk away without a deal unless compromise could be found.
Frost's comments came as the second round of Brexit trade talks foundered last week after both sides failed to reach an agreement on fisheries and the level playing field.
Britain's top Brexit diplomat said he was not willing to accept a deal unless the UK could trade with the bloc without being subject to EU regulations and European Court of Justice (ECJ) rulings.
You may also want to watch:
The EU, however, say those requests would seriously undermine the single market. They claim the UK should have to adhere to different rules because of its size and proximity to Europe.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 6 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 Theresa May brands Michael Gove's no-deal Brexit statement 'utter rubbish'
- 9 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
- 10 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
Despite UK commitments to 'work hard to find an agreement' with counterparts across the Channel, no-deal planning is being ramped up across Whitehall.
No-deal planning committee meetings. which normally happen once to twice a week, have been occuring 'regularly' while civil servants who were moved from no-deal planning to help with the government's coronavirus efforts have now returned, the Sunday Times reports.
EU officials told the paper the UK government was bent on a hard exit. 'I think this government may indeed want to go for a no deal,' an insider told the paper. 'It's politically not unattractive for a critical mass within the cabinet.'
Last Friday, the EU's chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, said negotiations had been 'very disappointing'.
'I hope the next round in June and the one after in July will be more positive,' he said.
The UK has committed to publishing draft legal texts for all EU member states to review.
'The UK will continue to work hard to find an agreement, for as long as there is a constructive process in being, and continues to believe that this is possible,' Frost said.
Neither the EU or Britain has said they will seen an extension to the Brexit transition period despite a large number of UK voters thinking they should.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.