Labour frontbencher calls on postal service to help find Boris Johnson in quip about Steve Bannon arrest
- Credit: PA
A Labour frontbencher has joked that Royal Mail should be used to help find Boris Johnson after his period of absence in a quip about Steve Bannon's arrest.
Shadow justice minister David Lammy was playing on the news that former Trump advisor Steve Bannon had been arrested by US postal service inspectors over defrauding thousands of political donors.
Responding to a tweet by a CBS News anchor, Lammy wrote: 'The US Postal Service has taken Steve Bannon into custody.
'Wonder if our Postal Service can locate @BorisJohnson for us? He's disappeared again.'
You may also want to watch:
Johnson has drawn criticism for not cutting short a two-week holiday in Scotland with his family to deal with the A-Levels crisis whilst the coronavirus pandemic continued.
- 1 Brexit regret: Meet the Leave voters who wish they hadn't voted Leave
- 2 Labour leader defends NHS after being kicked out of pub in Bath
- 3 Opposition parties push for probe into Boris Johnson's conduct following viral video
- 4 ‘I should not have listened to Cameron’ – Former European Commission president
- 5 Scottish Tory leader accused of 'nonsense' excuse for Boris Johnson avoiding Scotland
- 6 A chapter is over for Britain, for good or ill
- 7 New research reveals half of Brexit supporters were not 'left behind' red-wall voters
- 8 Welsh government refused permission for legal challenge over post-Brexit bill
- 9 Boris Johnson vows action over 'absurd' post-Brexit trading arrangements
- 10 Russell Kane: Why working class people like Boris Johnson
Twitter users lapped up Lammy's comment and added a few hilarious ones of their own.
Ian Warren joked: 'We've still got him in Scotland. Send 50b euros, or we send him back...'
'Follow the trail of single mothers with blonde babies!!' Neil suggested.
One user quipped: 'Didn't he congratulate large swathes of his multiple offspring on their GCSEs earlier?'
Another wrote that you would need 'Harry Potter's owl' to find Johnson at the moment while a third wrote: 'Where is the Lying World Championship taking place? He'll be there & will win the title again.'
Others indulged in Johnson's habit for running into freezers when the going gets tough.
Simone Rossi wrote Johnson was 'likely to be somewhere here', posting a image of fridges.
Another said: 'I believe he was sent to one V. Putin by recorded delivery...'
@NoisyVolt was more optimistic. 'Wonderful mental image of #wheresBoris being arrested by Postman Pat and his cat Jess,' he wrote.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.