Labour MP David Lammy brands Boris Johnson ‘a vandal not a patriot’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Shadow justice secretary David Lammy has branded Boris Johnson and his cohort of Brexiteers 'vandals' rather than 'patriots'.
The Labour MP was speaking out after reports that Johnson's government is looking to renege on commitments made to the EU over Brexit.
The prime minister is reportedly planning new legislation that would override key parts of the agreement – the treaty that sealed Britain's exit from the EU in January – in a move that could risk collapsing the UK-EU trade talks.
Pro-EU politician Lammy said that tied with his failures over coronavirus and the government's avoidance of scrutiny the Tory leader was far from the 'patriot' he wants to be seen as.
He tweeted: 'Boris Johnson's government wants to break its international commitments on Northern Ireland, avoid scrutiny over its covid-19 failures, and trash the power of the public to challenge its decisions in court.
'They call themselves patriots, but they are vandalising our country.'
You may also want to watch:
Twitter users applauded the remarks, broadly responding in agreement.
'The Tory government under Boris Johnson will clearly not be content until they have reduced the UK to junk status,' tweeted David Noble. 'It beggars belief how quickly they've run our once widely respected kingdom down.'
- 1 The Spanish village with the mythical blue lagoon
- 2 Rabbits defeat French army
- 3 Empty shelves are partly down to Brexit - but Leavers won't admit it
- 4 Would Javid have renamed ICU wards 'Drama Queen Zones'?
- 5 Party politics will not save us from the Tories - we need drastic action
- 6 Has something shifted in sado-populist Britain?
- 7 Ed Vaizey overtakes Paul Dacre in the Ofcom race
- 8 Priti Patel - the poster girl for our poisonous politics
- 9 Boris Johnson: The sado-populist prime minister
- 10 Cost of Brexit is already 38 times more than the money set aside for levelling up
'The only way we can stand alone and proud with some authority is by showing integrity and reliability,' responded Sonia Hartman. 'This clique are vandals indeed'.
'The biggest Tory lie is that Boris Johnson is a patriot,' said @boskybits. 'He doesn't care about anything other than power and money for him and his American, Russian, corporate mates. He is happy to risk British lives along the way.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.