David Lammy slams ‘contradiction’ of Boris Johnson’s promise to EU nationals
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Boris Johnson is making promises he can't keep to EU nationals in the UK, said David Lammy, after the new prime minister made his 'unequivocal' guarantee of their right to stay.
In his first appearance as PM in the Commons, Johnson said EU citizens looking to stay in the UK "will have the absolute certainty of the right to live and remain".
But the People's Vote campaign, which is supported by David Lammy, has calculated that UK's 77 processing centres would need to process 345 applications a day if Johnson is to make that guarantee. According to a government report, applications have taken anything from three to nine days to be process.
There are still 2.6 million EU nationals who still need to apply for settled status, all of whose applications would have to be processed before October 31 if the UK leaves the UK on that date as Johnson has promised.
Lammy called the task "insurmountable".
You may also want to watch:
"Boris Johnson's commitment to leaving the EU by the end of October and to the protection of EU citizens' rights post-Brexit is a contradiction," he said. "EU citizens in Britain and British citizens in the EU will lose their rights on day one after a no-deal Brexit.
"No-one should have to go through a long process of applying to live in the place they moved to with every right to live, work and settle. The centres tasked with processing these applications are going to be stretched past breaking point. Let's be real: the challenge they face is insurmountable.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 8 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 9 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 10 Ex-civil service chief takes swipe at Dominic Cummings while criticising government's Covid-19 response
"The only way to fulfil Johnson's pledge to EU nationals is to stop Brexit."
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.