Former Tory minister says ‘it would have been better if David Cameron had never lived’
- Credit: Archant
A former Tory minister has said David Cameron has 'a lot to answer for' when it comes to calling the EU referendum.
David Mellor, who was pro-European during his time in office but voted for Brexit, appeared on LBC Radio to address remarks made by former speaker John Bercow.
The former national heritage secretary said that he did not agree with John Bercow on the suggestion that the former prime minister "thinks people like him are born to rule", but Mellor said that he often woke up thinking "it would have been better if he had never lived".
The Conservative did not mince his words when he said the former Tory leader was "fat-headed" and "fatuous".
He said: "I don't agree with John Bercow about that in terms of his analysis but I do think that David Cameron has a lot to answer for.
You may also want to watch:
"He was fat-headed, fatuous and shallow in going for the referendum."
He continued: "Do you know when Robert Harris wrote his review of David Cameron's auto-biography he ended up by quoting Winston Churchill, and what Winston Churchill said about Stanley Baldwin, who was the sort of do nothing know nothing prime minister in the 30s.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 7 WILL SELF: Two places where everyone knows your name
- 8 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 9 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
"And Churchill apparently said of Baldwin 'I wish him no harm, but it would have better if he never lived', and I wake up a lot of mornings thinking the same of David Cameron".
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.