Why we couldn’t have picked a worse time to quit the EU
- Credit: DPA/PA Images
David Miliband's latest Brexit intervention makes perfect sense – let's hope people are listening.
At the end of a week when some in the centre have dared to dream about a return for the best Labour leader the party never had, Miliband has warned that Brexit could land Britain in real danger.
And he is right. We really have picked the worse possible time to withdraw from the European Union with Donald Trump's chaotic reign rumbling on in the West and Russia's barrage of misinformation and sabre-rattling in the East.
And yet the Brexiteers want to exit at any cost. Really? This could end up being about more than just blue passports and lies on the sides of buses.
'We are entering the most dangerous period in international relations in three generations,' he warned. 'The real danger is that small and medium-sized states, like Britain, will increasingly be at the mercy of the interests of larger powers.'
You may also want to watch:
Taking back control eh?
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 3 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 4 ERG MP says Boris Johnson should consider cutting ties with Church of England following Brexit row
- 5 Diane Abbott accuses Keir Starmer of having 'other motives' while shadow Brexit secretary
- 6 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 7 Labour MP calls Dan Wootton a 'complete and utter nutcase' following Covid-19 herd immunity comment
- 8 Labour MP lashes out at Boris Johnson over £150k wage complaint during fiery debate on Manchester lockdown
- 9 Government told to publish impact assessments for Boris Johnson's 'Narnia' deal with EU
- 10 Brexiteer admits 'Australia-style deal' term designed to 'pull wool over voters' eyes'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.