Why we couldn’t have picked a worse time to quit the EU
- Credit: DPA/PA Images
David Miliband's latest Brexit intervention makes perfect sense – let's hope people are listening.
At the end of a week when some in the centre have dared to dream about a return for the best Labour leader the party never had, Miliband has warned that Brexit could land Britain in real danger.
And he is right. We really have picked the worse possible time to withdraw from the European Union with Donald Trump's chaotic reign rumbling on in the West and Russia's barrage of misinformation and sabre-rattling in the East.
And yet the Brexiteers want to exit at any cost. Really? This could end up being about more than just blue passports and lies on the sides of buses.
'We are entering the most dangerous period in international relations in three generations,' he warned. 'The real danger is that small and medium-sized states, like Britain, will increasingly be at the mercy of the interests of larger powers.'
You may also want to watch:
Taking back control eh?
- 1 Joe Biden’s ‘candid’ message to Boris Johnson on Northern Ireland Brexit row
- 2 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 3 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 4 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 5 Major disaster: How Tories' 1992 victory sowed seeds of Brexit
- 6 Five years of Brexit summed up by Cold War Steve
- 7 The fight against the homogenisation of the British Isles
- 8 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 9 The 40 best European TV shows to stream
- 10 Britain is becalmed by apathy: Where is the rage?
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.