Tory MP’s claim they just voted to ‘get Brexit done’ ridiculed
- Credit: Archant
A Tory MP - who previously claimed they had ‘got Brexit done’ - was ridiculed when she tweeted again to say she had voted again to get it done.
Dehenna Davison, the representative for Bishop Auckland, sent the tweet after the Internal Market Bill passed - which could override key aspects of Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal.
The Brexiteer, who previously had ‘#GotBrexitDone’ in her Twitter username, appeared to dismiss the irony in the fact the bill could get much of it “undone”.
Twitter in its droves reminded Davison of what she actually voted for.
“No, you didn’t. Brexit was officially ‘done’ months ago. You just voted to break international law,” said leading Remain campaigner Mike Galsworthy.
You may also want to watch:
“Is there something wrong with Twitter?” asked Peter Smith. “This tweet from Dehenna was posted last December and has only just appeared”.
“Brexit has already been ‘done’,” replied @jude5456. “That’s why we’re in this mess. You couldn’t make it up.”
- 1 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 7 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 8 George Osborne hopes for Brexit dividend
- 9 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 10 Holyrood in talks with EU to extend Erasmus scheme to Scottish students
“She’ll be tweeting this in 2036,” quipped Jake Richards.
“Haven’t you heard your own government’s ads specifically saying ‘the UK has now left the EU’?” questioned Amelie May.
Labour MP Neil Coyle wrote: “Again? They told us it was done already, through the Agreement they voted to trash last night. Now they say they have done Brexit again, apparently. So I am sure we won’t hear about it any more after this latest glittering success...”
Twitter user @AndrewRejoin posted: “You did that last year as well. You just didn’t understand what you were voting for then and probably don’t now.”
Dave Edwards added: “It’s been done for months. You just voted to break the law.”
Others referenced the Tory memorabilia which claimed they had “got Brexit done” back in January.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.