Dennis Skinner branded a 'thug' after swearing at MP in Commons
Veteran Labour MP Dennis Skinner has been branded a "thug" after he appeared to call an SNP MP a "piece of shit" in a Brexit debate in the Commons.
Skinner, who has served as MP for Bolsover for 48 years, could be seen angrily remonstrating with SNP MPs after Jeremy Corbyn was heckled during a debate on the government's decision to pull the "meaningful vote" on the prime minister's Brexit deal.
The 86-year-old, who is widely known as "the Beast of Bolsover" for his obstinate style, was seen to turn and allegedly mouthed "piece of shit" at Glasgow South MP Stewart McDonald during the debate.
A new parliamentary habit seems to be forming, whereby any time an SNP MP sat behind Dennis Skinner verbalises any frustration about what Jeremy Corbyn says, he angrily turns round to tell us off. He has just turned round and called me a 'piece of shit'. He has become a thug.
-- Stewart McDonald MP (@StewartMcDonald) December 11, 2018
McDonald tweeted after the incident: "A new parliamentary habit seems to be forming, whereby any time an SNP MP sat behind Dennis Skinner verbalises any frustration about what Jeremy Corbyn says, he angrily turns round to tell us off.
You may also want to watch:
"He has just turned round and called me a 'piece of shit'. He has become a thug."
- 1 Brexiteer Prue Leith quits Tory Party after government votes down motion to protect UK food standards
- 2 Public slams Brexit Party tweet which shames Tory MPs who voted against free school meals
- 3 Piers Morgan must expose the government's Brexit betrayal
- 4 Group in protest against Tory MPs who voted down free school meals targets offices with empty plates
- 5 Peers set to remove law-breaking sections of Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 6 Tory minister blames journalists for NHS Test and Trace failure as he defends Dido Harding
- 7 Michel Barnier postpones Brussels return as Brexit trade talks in London continue
- 8 Brexit shambles: A stress of our own making
- 9 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 10 Boris Johnson and Priti Patel urged to end 'attacks' on lawyers in letter by 800 legal professionals
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.