Calls for Keith Vaz to step down as a Labour candidate
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Keith Vaz is facing calls to stand down as a Labour candidate after a scathing Commons report recommended he should face a six-month suspension.
The Standards Committee found the MP had caused "significant damage" to the reputation of the House after he expressed a willingness to purchase cocaine for others during an encounter with male prostitutes.
The committee, the commons disciplinary body, said his explanation that he may have been given a "spiked" drink and that he was suffering from amnesia was "not believable and, indeed, ludicrous".
Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said Vaz should now stand aside as the Labour candidate for Leicester East, the seat he has held since 1987.
"I think he should consider his position.
You may also want to watch:
"I think he himself should agree not to be a candidate," she told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.
"It has been a very sad issue, not just for him but for his family and his children."
- 1 This chumocracy is costing our country
- 2 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 3 Fifteen ways to fix Britain
- 4 Michel Barnier tells UK to be 'very careful' in Brexit diplomatic status row
- 5 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 6 Independent SAGE adviser gives scathing assessment of Priti Patel's £800 Covid fines
- 7 Jacob Rees-Mogg says it's 'all the EU's fault' musicians can't tour Europe
- 8 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 9 George Osborne hopes for Brexit dividend
- 10 Piers Morgan tells Gavin Williamson to resign for being a 'catastrophe'
When it was put to her that Mr Vaz, who was chairman of the Commons Home Affairs Committee at the time of the incident, had not had the Labour whip withdrawn, she replied: "Not yet."
A statement on Vaz's website said that he was admitted to hospital on the day the committee's report was published.
It said he had been receiving treatment for a "serious mental health condition" since details of the encounter were published in the Sunday Mirror in 2016.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.