Dominic Cummings is setting himself up to be an invisible dictator
- Credit: Archant
Readers give their opinions on Dominic Cummings, who has taken charge at 10 Downing Street.
I should love Dominic Cummings. By winning the 2016 referendum for Vote Leave, he has greatly advanced the cause of an independent Scotland. Even better, by advocating no-deal if the other 27 EU countries remain defiant to the demands of this Tory/DUP government - which they probably will - he has further strengthened it.
But I am a principled woman. I believe in democracy, in its purest form possible. And, like most Scots as well as other Brits, my democratic ideals include truth and accountability.
This is why I absolutely loathe Cummings. He cynically championed disinformation in the EU referendum campaign, and is in contempt of parliament for refusing to answer MPs' questions about it. And now, as Johnson's senior advisor, he is ideally placed to pull strings over government policy itself.
Cummings despises voters and politicians. For him, they are just tools for imposing on all of us the political future he has chosen for the UK, and from behind the scenes. In other words, to act as an invisible, would-be dictator.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Former Tory speaker admits voting Labour after labeling Boris Johnson a 'liar'
- 2 PM mocks Angela Rayner after shadow cabinet reshuffle
- 3 Senior Keir Starmer aide resigns following allegations of involvement in Angela Rayner's demotion
- 4 Britons living in Spain refused Covid jab 'due to Brexit', report claims
- 5 Liz Truss accused of freeports 'catastrophic blunder' following Brexit deals
- 6 How Brexit dealt a hammer blow to diplomatic relations
- 7 Britain is fatally addicted to toffs like Boris Johnson
- 8 The truth about 'buy British'
- 9 Focus on voter ID instead of Russian interference 'bizarre', says Lisa Nandy
- 10 David Cameron’s lobbying texts to Rishi Sunak and Michael Gove released
"Leaving the EU also requires the destruction of the normal Whitehall/Downing Street system and the development of new methods," wrote Dominic Cummings in a blog from October 2016. "A dysfunctional broken system is hardly likely to achieve the most complex UK government project since beating Nazi Germany".
Never mind the grotesque parallel between the racist, murderous war machine of Hitler's Third Reich and a peace-loving EU. What is exceptionally shocking is his demand to coldly annihilate our proven and widely copied civil service system in an insane Brexecution.
Now ensconced in the heart of government, this unelected guy was exposed as the strategist behind Vote Leave's blitz of lies about the EU on Facebook. Their campaign of voters manipulation had Gove as its leader, Johnson its figurehead, and many present ministers were its members. They ALL shared in that disinformation.
- What do you think? Send your thoughts to email@example.com and pick up a copy of the newspaper each Thursday.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.