Dominic Cummings self-isolates after showing coronavirus symptoms
- Credit: Archant
Boris Johnson's key adviser Dominic Cummings has self-isolated after showing coronavirus symptoms.
Cummings, who was reported last month to have said that it was 'too bad' if pensioners die from COVID-19 until he saw fresh science, is staying away from work after showing signs of the illness over the weekend.
The prime minister's official spokesman said the 48-year-old noticed symptoms of Covid-19 over the course of the weekend and had decided to self-isolate.
Asked whether Cummings had been tested for coronavirus, the spokesman added: 'I wouldn't expect that to be the case.'
The mastermind behind Vote Leave's messaging during the Brexit referendum was last seen running out of Number 10 shortly after Johnson posted a video message on Friday announcing he had tested positive, said to be concerned about catching the illness.
It raises fresh questions about whether officials in government were following its own guidelines during the coronavirus outbreak, after scientists claimed Johnson had flouted the rules.
Hancock, Johnson and England's chief medical office Chris Whitty have all self-isolated after COVID-19 reached Number 10.
David Frost, the UK's Brexit negotiator, and Scottish secretary Alister Jack also were forced into isolation.
Downing Street denied the claims from a newspaper report last weekend that the PM's top aide had been prepared to let the elderly die to protect the economy during the UK outbreak of coronavirus, and branded the Sunday Times report 'highly defamatory'.
A Tory election chief had been lined up to replace Cummings if he contracted COVID-19, an appointment that appeared to be made before the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
But No 10 played down any link between Levido's involvement and Cummings' illness.
'I'm not sure of a link between the two but Isaac has been working with us in Number 10 for the past week on the coronavirus response,' said the PM's spokesman.
- 1 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 2 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 5 ‘Don’t haste ye back’ - Nicola Sturgeon's perfect farewell message to Donald Trump
- 6 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 7 Tory MPs vote down Lords bid to protect NHS from post-Brexit trade deals
- 8 9 of the best tweets of Donald Trump leaving the White House
- 9 Boris Johnson narrowly avoids defeat over vote on trade deals with genocidal regimes
- 10 Trump caller hangs up on James O'Brien after failing to cite ex-president's 'truths'
'The two things aren't related. He is working on all aspects of the response.'
The spokesman said a 'number of people as contractors' had been brought in to Downing Street to 'bolster' the government's efforts in dealing with the crisis.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.