Dominic Cummings is the epitome of everything he advocated rejecting
- Credit: PA
Dominic Cummings stands for everything that he advocated the country rejecting, writes a reader.
Dominic Cummings is the epitome of everything he advocated rejecting, all the reasons he fabricated for leaving the EU. The 'unelected Eurocrats' spin was a lie; instead, decisions on our futures are now actually being made by faceless, unaccountable figures, not in some far-off, distant land, but within Downing Street itself.
So, now we're governed by unelected, cocksure hubris. Absolute unaccountability, zero democracy. Well done, Dom.
And yet, he is still fighting. It's still not enough. Even as the wheels begin to fall off one of the costliest, most dangerous vanity projects of an insecure little man in many decades, he is still not satisfied.
If he so desperately needs to prove his intellect, why not simply put himself at the head of the NHS, or the Universal Credit project? Turning around either of these, successfully, would win him international plaudits. But both would require compassion alongside an extraordinary mind.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Valentine, Llanaelhaearn
- 1 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 2 Jacob Rees-Mogg claims fish captured after Brexit deal came into effect were 'British and happier for it'
- 3 Matt Hancock praises free school meals before being reminded he voted against them
- 4 Katie Hopkins joins UKIP in time for leadership contest
- 5 Brexiteer MP ridiculed after calling for free movement of goods between GB and NI
- 6 Spokesman indicates Boris Johnson has not read Brexit trade deal text
- 7 James O'Brien schools Brexiteer who refuses to accept new EU-UK trade rules
- 8 Michel Barnier tells Britain Brexit red tape is here 'for good'
- 9 What Remainers should have done differently
- 10 Brexiteer says he'd never have voted for Brexit 'if we knew we'd lose our jobs'
"We did ask for a government minister to speak to us about flood defences and preparedness, but unfortunately no-one was available," Channel 4 News presenter Cathy Newman commented wearily on February 15 after the main item.
Here is the result of Cummings' boycott of non-compliant news media in favour of sycophantic ones, as seen in their unsuccessful attempt to segregate 'baddies' from 'goodies' in a recent Downing Street briefing. How long will the British public put up with his contemptuous attitude to scrutiny?
Cummings' next move will be to get Johnson to walk away from the trade talks, blaming the EU's stance on fishing rights. Leavers will buy it yet again, thanks to his slogan.
Helen Hallam, Keighley
- The fight may have changed but the cause remains. Buy The New European every Thursday to read the full mailbag of letters. To have your say email letters@theneweuropean and join our readers' group for more debate.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.