Donald Trump tests positive for coronavirus days after mocking masks
- Credit: AFP via Getty Images
US president Donald Trump and first lady Melania have tested positive for coronavirus and are in quarantine, days after the politician mocked his rival for wearing face masks.
Trump announced his diagnosis in a tweet in the early hours of Friday, following a positive test from one of his closest aides.
Hope Hicks returned a positive test on Thursday, with Trump later tweeting: “@FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”
While waiting for the results of his test following Hicks’ diagnosis, Trump said he had found it difficult to socially distance while meeting members of the armed forces.
He told Fox News: “It’s very hard when you’re with soldiers, when you’re with airmen, when you’re with the marines, and with the police officers, I’m with them so much.
“And when they come over to you it’s very hard to say ‘stay back, stay back’ you know, it’s a tough kind of a situation, it’s a terrible thing.”
He added: “They come over to you and they want to hug you and they want to kiss you because we really have done a good job for them and you get close and things happen.”
- 1 Minister terminates interview after suggesting public's age and weight to blame for UK's high death toll
- 2 European parliament agrees to add British overseas territories to post-Brexit tax haven blacklist
- 3 Nigel Farage loses nearly 50,000 followers after Twitter suspends QAnon accounts
- 4 This picture of Boris Johnson on the phone to Joe Biden has caused a stir
- 5 Former Brexit Party MEP dies in diving accident in the Bahamas
- 6 Bob Geldof takes swipe at No 10 saying 'lying is second nature' to them
- 7 The greatest failure of government in our lifetime
- 8 Brexiteer calls for UK to save Eurostar - by buying it and renaming it 'Britstar'
- 9 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 10 Telegraph columnist blames Angela Merkel for Brexit
Trump's diagnosis came days after he mocked his political rival Joe Biden for wearing a face mask.
The president said he wore masks "when needed", before telling Biden: “I don’t wear a mask like him. Every time you see him, he’s got a mask. He could be speaking 200 feet away from him and he shows up with the biggest mask I’ve ever seen.”
Biden replied: “Well, masks make a big difference. His own head of the CDC said if we just wore masks between now, if everybody wore a mask and social distanced between now and January, we’d probably save up to 100,000 lives. It matters. It matters.”
Trump told viewers he had been told “the opposite”.
His Covid-19 diagnosis is the latest among world leaders, with prime minster Boris Johnson admitted to intensive care after contracting the disease and the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier also falling ill.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.