Donald Trump says UK can look forward to a ‘lucrative’ post-Brexit trade deal
- Credit: AFP/Getty Images
Donald Trump has turned to Twitter in the middle of night to celebrate Boris Johnson's election win.
In a tweet likely to send shivers down the spines of Remainers, the US president tweeted that the UK could not look forward to a "massive new trade deal after Brexit".
The president tweeted: "Congratulations to Boris Johnson on his great WIN!
"Britain and the United States will now be free to strike a massive new Trade Deal after BREXIT.
"This deal has the potential to be far bigger and more lucrative than any deal that could be made with the E.U. Celebrate Boris!"
You may also want to watch:
It follows warnings during the election campaign from Jeremy Corbyn that both food standards and the NHS could be at risk from a future US-UK trade deal.
A number of Twitter users responded in dismay to the president's reaction to the election result.
- 1 Leave EU website suspended after EU registry blocks move to Ireland
- 2 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 3 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 5 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 6 Boris Johnson blames seafood companies for post-Brexit sales slump
- 7 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 8 Comedian wins praise after shaming No 10 during Dancing on Ice appearance
- 9 The Tory MPs who failed to vote against a Universal Credit cut
- 10 Bob Geldof vindicated over pro-EU fishing stunt, suggests broadcaster
"As if waking up on Friday 13th to a hammering of Labour loss isn't bad enough and then you see this. I fear for the future for my kids," said one.
"Good bye our NHS hello Trump's Britain," tweeted another.
"If your vote made this idiot happy, you might want to rethink your life choices. Exploitation and selling off of the NHS is now just over the horizon. Thanks for that", wrote Chris Hallam.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.