Donald Trump says UK can look forward to a ‘lucrative’ post-Brexit trade deal
- Credit: AFP/Getty Images
Donald Trump has turned to Twitter in the middle of night to celebrate Boris Johnson's election win.
In a tweet likely to send shivers down the spines of Remainers, the US president tweeted that the UK could not look forward to a "massive new trade deal after Brexit".
The president tweeted: "Congratulations to Boris Johnson on his great WIN!
"Britain and the United States will now be free to strike a massive new Trade Deal after BREXIT.
"This deal has the potential to be far bigger and more lucrative than any deal that could be made with the E.U. Celebrate Boris!"
You may also want to watch:
It follows warnings during the election campaign from Jeremy Corbyn that both food standards and the NHS could be at risk from a future US-UK trade deal.
A number of Twitter users responded in dismay to the president's reaction to the election result.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Downing Street withholds praise for business and local authorities offering free meals to hungry children
- 5 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 6 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 7 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 8 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 9 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 10 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
"As if waking up on Friday 13th to a hammering of Labour loss isn't bad enough and then you see this. I fear for the future for my kids," said one.
"Good bye our NHS hello Trump's Britain," tweeted another.
"If your vote made this idiot happy, you might want to rethink your life choices. Exploitation and selling off of the NHS is now just over the horizon. Thanks for that", wrote Chris Hallam.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.