Downing Street hit backs at Sunday Times report accusing the newspaper of ‘falsehoods’ and ‘errors’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Downing Street has hit back at newspaper reports about Boris Johnson's handling of the coronavirus, accusing the Sunday Times of 'falsehoods' and 'errors'.
A government spokesman said: 'This article contains a series of falsehoods and errors and actively misrepresents the enormous amount of work which was going on in government at the earliest stages of the coronavirus outbreak.
'This is an unprecedented global pandemic and we have taken the right steps at the right time to combat it, guided at all times by the best scientific advice.
'The government has been working day and night to battle against coronavirus, delivering a strategy designed at all times to protect our NHS and save lives.
'Our response has ensured that the NHS has been given all the support it needs to ensure everyone requiring treatment has received it, as well as providing protection to businesses and reassurance to workers.
You may also want to watch:
'The prime minister has been at the helm of the response to this, providing leadership during this hugely challenging period for the whole nation.'
The tone of the statement, posted on the official gov.uk website, was much more aggressive than that used by the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Michael Gove on Sunday morning TV appearances when he described the article as 'off beam'.
Gove had confirmed the Sunday Times report that the PM had not attended five meetings of the key government committee Cobra in the run-up to the crisis, but insisted this was not unusual.
That stance was echoed by the government spokesman who said: 'It is entirely normal and proper for Cobra to be chaired by the relevant secretary of state.
- 1 Tory MP blames 'chaotic parents' for children going to school hungry
- 2 Boris Johnson 'hid in bedroom' to avoid grilling on Brexit stance days before becoming PM
- 3 Danny Dyer praised for criticisms of Tory party - pointing out Etonians can't run the country
- 4 George Osborne says it is 'game over' for Boris Johnson over free school meals
- 5 UKIP set to select 'Dr Gammons' as candidate for London mayoral election
- 6 Liz Truss' department slammed for false claim about cost of soy sauce after Brexit
- 7 Andy Burnham could have been 'halfway through tenure as PM by now', claims commentator
- 8 Minister sparks concerns about pig semen after Brexit
- 9 Minister says he 'doesn't understand' accusation he's starving kids in holidays
- 10 Brexiteer in lockdown denial over 49% drop in constituency Covid-19 cases
'At this point the World Health Organisation had not declared Covid-19 a 'Public Health Emergency of International Concern', and only did so on January 30.
'Indeed, they chose not to declare a PHEIC the day after the Cobra meeting.'
In reference to the report that the UK sent 279,000 items of protective equipment to China earlier this year, the government spokesman said: 'The equipment was not from the pandemic stockpile.
'We provided this equipment to China at the height of their need and China has since reciprocated our donation many times over. Between April 2-April 15 we have received over 12 million pieces of PPE in the UK from China.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.