Downing Street says it will ‘partially reveal’ experts on SAGE group ‘shortly’
- Credit: PA
Some of the names of the scientists who have been advising the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) will be published 'shortly', the government's chief scientific adviser has said.
Sir Patrick said only the experts who are 'happy to have their names published' would be made public, as the prime minister returned to Downing Street pledging 'maximum possible transparency'.
He told a briefing for science journalists that the identities of the experts are usually revealed after an emergency is over.
However, he added: 'But I believe that we should be more prepared to publish names sooner, and intend to do so shortly.
'So we will be publishing names of those that are happy to have their names published.'
You may also want to watch:
He added that the group would also be releasing a list of the documents, and eventually the documents themselves, that have fed into Sage meetings.
Senior Tory MPs joined Labour in calling for more openness on the committee's membership after the revelation of the presence of Johnson aide Dominic Cummings and Ben Warner, a data scientist who worked with him during the Brexit campaign.
Sir Patrick, who chairs SAGE, has previously argued that the decision not to disclose its membership was based on advice from the Centre for Protection of National Infrastructure, which warned of lobbying.
- 1 Why don't Brexiteers like to talk about Brexit any more?
- 2 Brexit: British 'expats' in Spain facing deportation over residency
- 3 Michael O'Leary: My hope for the future over Brexit
- 4 Major disaster: How Tories' 1992 victory sowed seeds of Brexit
- 5 Is the Sun setting on Murdoch's global media empire?
- 6 When Eton took on a team of miners at football
- 7 Five years of Brexit summed up by Cold War Steve
- 8 Did Donald Trump really wear his trousers backwards at Republicans' North Carolina rally?
- 9 English to be temporarily replaced by French as EU's 'working language' in 2022
- 10 The 40 best European TV shows to stream
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.