Download our exclusive Malcolm Garrett-designed poster
MALCOLM GARRETT, who designed Buzzcocks' striking cover designs, is behind this week's stunning New European front page. Download it here
Next year will be the 50th anniversary of John and Yoko's original War Is Over If You Want It poster campaign, which led a couple of years later to the Happy Xmas (War Is Over) single, writes MALCOLM GARRETT.
When I was growing up, those message singles - All You Need is Love, Give Peace a Chance, Happy Xmas (War is Over) - had a big impact on me.
I picked up on it as the perfect message about leaving the EU because what we have learned during the past two and a half years if that Brexit is impossible. And if nobody wants something, then that something is over. So I'm saying, 'let's all just admit this thing is over and move on'.
It starts with a single voice. For the image itself I was very careful to match the new one with the original. So it was not just about selecting the right font - which is Franklin Gothic, classically American - but also getting the very tight letter spacing right.
You may also want to watch:
I want to make the image as widely available as possible. I've emailed Yoko Ono and had no objections. I think our message chimes with the message of the John and Yoko original - a call for peace, hope and compassion.
- 1 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
- 2 Priti Patel set to hand private firms £28 million in government contracts to deport asylum seekers from UK
- 3 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 4 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 5 The harsh truths learned from halt in Brexit talks
- 6 Michael Gove's Brexit fantasy is leading us down a perilous path
- 7 Question Time: Ex-Tory minister accused of making 'sickening' comment about free schools meals row
- 8 At the upcoming US election, Donald Trump really is toast
- 9 Priti Patel bullying inquiry may never be released, hints Boris Johnson's new civil service boss
- 10 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.