Download our exclusive Malcolm Garrett-designed poster
MALCOLM GARRETT, who designed Buzzcocks' striking cover designs, is behind this week's stunning New European front page. Download it here
Next year will be the 50th anniversary of John and Yoko's original War Is Over If You Want It poster campaign, which led a couple of years later to the Happy Xmas (War Is Over) single, writes MALCOLM GARRETT.
When I was growing up, those message singles - All You Need is Love, Give Peace a Chance, Happy Xmas (War is Over) - had a big impact on me.
I picked up on it as the perfect message about leaving the EU because what we have learned during the past two and a half years if that Brexit is impossible. And if nobody wants something, then that something is over. So I'm saying, 'let's all just admit this thing is over and move on'.
It starts with a single voice. For the image itself I was very careful to match the new one with the original. So it was not just about selecting the right font - which is Franklin Gothic, classically American - but also getting the very tight letter spacing right.
You may also want to watch:
I want to make the image as widely available as possible. I've emailed Yoko Ono and had no objections. I think our message chimes with the message of the John and Yoko original - a call for peace, hope and compassion.
- 1 Tory minister admits UK rejected EU's music visa offer in order to 'take back control' of borders
- 2 Susanna Reid takes on Priti Patel over government's gaslighting of public on coronavirus
- 3 Brexiteer musician accused of hypocrisy after demanding No 10 help bands with EU visa
- 4 Priti Patel fails to appear in Commons to answer questions on missing police records
- 5 PMQs: Ben Bradshaw calls out Boris Johnson over Brexit lies
- 6 Kwasi Kwarteng confirms post-Brexit review of workers' rights
- 7 Iain Duncan Smith defends calling Donald Trump 'a decent man'
- 8 The bigot we should have called out on day one
- 9 Piers Morgan calls on Priti Patel to resign over missing crime records fiasco
- 10 GB News seeks to hire Nick Ferrari and Julia Hartley-Brewer to present on new channel
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.