TV doctor applauded for dig about Dominic Cummings whilst giving coronavirus advice
- Credit: Archant
A television doctor has been applauded for his 'perfect delivery' of a dig about Boris Johnson's chief adviser whilst giving coronavirus advice on The One Show.
Dr Xand, a British television doctor and television presenter, left hosts Alex Jones and Gethin Jones sniggering after his answer about whether he thought the public were being too relaxed about the pandemic.
Xand - real name Alexander van Tulleken - blamed the contradictory messaging from the government for the overall confusion with the British public.
'I think we don't know - it's very hard to measure the levels of relaxedness.
'But it's not surprising the numbers have increased because we've changed our behaviour according to the government instruction since the lockdown ended.'
You may also want to watch:
Keeping a straight face, he continued: 'Everyone as individuals does have a role to play.
'Social distancing, hand washing, masks in crowded places, if you have eyesight problems you should test them with a lengthy drive with your family.
- 1 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 2 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 3 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 4 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 5 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 6 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 7 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 8 The deep roots of Dominic Cummings' personal antipathy to the BBC
- 9 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
- 10 These are the 322 Tory MPs who voted against extending free school meals to children
'But the government does have responsibilities as well and I think they're meeting them much less than the general public are meeting theirs'.
As the camera moved to the studio, both presenters tried to hold back their laughter as Dominic Cummings' rule-breaking trip to Durham was referenced.
The dig was picked up by social media users who applauded Xand for his quip, which emphasised the point he was trying to make about the government.
'I actively screamed the first time I saw this haha. Perfect timing,' said one.
'He slipped it in without pausing,' pointed out another.
'Brilliant delivery, no idea it was coming. Superb,' said Simon Williams.
@RussInCheshire tweeted: 'This 30 seconds is enough to justify 10 years of The One Show'.
Mark Phillips added: 'This will take 40 seconds out of your day, but it's so worth it.'
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.