Brexiteers’ commemorative badges celebrate October 31st ‘independence day’
- Credit: Archant
While the Royal Mint's commemorative coins are able to be melted down after another Brexit delay, spare a thought for these eBay users.
A search through the eBay listings finds Brexit memorabilia marking Boris Johnson's "do or die" Brexit date of October 31st.
Hundreds of "Independence Day" pin badges have been sold by the auction website - fetching anything between £3.00 and £6.00 - which have included Thursday's date.
One listing encourages Brexiteers to buy the badges "to celebrate the day of independence when the UK is finally free from the EU!"
Buyers are encouraged to "wear it with pride", as the seller explains: "Each badge is stamped from a piece of metal and then gold plated" and is "enamelled in red, white and blue!"
You may also want to watch:
The listing concludes: "You just know that your friends and family will be interested in chatting with you about your new badge."
However, it may find those now brandishing the badges provoking an entirely different conversation to what they had hoped.
- 1 Betty Boothroyd delivers scathing assessment of Boris Johnson's government
- 2 German MEP tells Boris Johnson he 'owes' Britons a Brexit deal as she urged a return to EU trade talks
- 3 House of Lords defies No 10 and votes to heavily defeat Boris Johnson's Brexit bill
- 4 Tory minister branded 'disgraceful' after dismissing child hunger in Britain as something that has 'been going on for years'
- 5 Boris Johnson 'plans to resign' in six months because he can't live on £150k salary
- 6 UK Business leaders describe Brexit call with Boris Johnson and Michael Gove as 'pointless'
- 7 Fool's gold? Nigel Farage wants you to invest your trust in his financial advice service
- 8 Leaked memo exposes government fears over rise in support for Scottish independence
- 9 Ex-civil service chief takes swipe at Dominic Cummings while criticising government's Covid-19 response
- 10 PMQs Review: The one where it was grim up north
"Absolutely great. First class. Just perfect. Just what I was looking for, ACE," responded one buyer recommending the product, before an extension was delayed.
While the badges remain on sale, it appears they are now more likely to become commemorative for all of the wrong reasons.
Become a Supporter
The New European is proud of its journalism and we hope you are proud of it too. We believe our voice is important - both in representing the pro-EU perspective and also to help rebalance the right wing extremes of much of the UK national press. If you value what we are doing, you can help us by making a contribution to the cost of our journalism.